Door window wanted

For an XJ6 coupe - For the right hand side door. Mine has the dreaded tension roller scratches.

Where are you? If in USA try David Boger at everydayxj. Aye, tudor glass is rare.

Can you polish the out or at least to a tolerable level? A test id a finger nail. If felt, not likely if not great potential.

These are tempered glass. So, choice is limited.

But, a local glass shop can cut one for you in laminated plate!! Old one as a pattern…

Good input Carl, thanks. Yes, I can feel at least some of the scratches with my fingernail. I’m reading that tempered glass does not lend itself to polishing - risk of blowing apart. I’ve used every day XJ before, Dave is great, but his coupe inventory is very limited. I will investigate the custom made window option if all else fails.

Sent: October 1, 2021 4:25 PM
To: bradlory@hotmail.com
Reply-to: jlreplies+7b5c5fdf7140e6d018df8d64fcde7147@jag-lovers.com
Subject: [Jag-lovers Forums] [XJ] Door window wanted

|

• |

| Cadjag Carl Hutchins, Jr.
October 1 |

• | - |

Where are you? If in USA try David Boger at everydayxj. Aye, tudor glass is rare.

Can you polish the out or at least to a tolerable level? A test id a finger nail. If felt, not likely if not great potential.

These are tempered glass. So, choice is limited.

But, a local glass shop can cut one for you in laminated plate!! Old one as a pattern…

I just polished my front and rear screens with great success.
Cerium Oxide and Felt Pads is the only thing that works, and works very well.
Easily available and inexpensive.
Have a look on YouTube, plenty of related videos.

Needs patience and takes a lot of time. Be careful with heat build-up, that’s what brakes the glass, the key is not to stick to one place.
Very deep scratches will be hard to remove, but will show considerably less.
Better take the glass out to polish it, it’s very messy and the paint will not like the abrasive at all.

And a crazy guy that actually sanded down his windshield, it was in pretty bad shape, and then polished it…

Original glass normally has an etching by the manufacturer.
Triplex or secursiv, surprisingly prominent once you put the wrong one in.
(Don’t ask how I know… I have a four door).

Thanks for the info. Still trying to verify what some have told me - that you can’t polish side (tempered) glass for fear of it fracturing? Personally I would have thought that going at it slowly should be OK…

Sent: October 2, 2021 12:12 PM
To: bradlory@hotmail.com
Reply-to: jlreplies+c3d929f8f32fc499ff02b4a95085cce0@jag-lovers.com
Subject: [Jag-lovers Forums] [XJ] Door window wanted

|

• |

| davidm David mccarthy
October 2 |

• | - |

Original glass normally has an etching by the manufacturer.
Triplex or secursiv, surprisingly prominent once you put the wrong one in.
(Don’t ask how I know… I have a four door).

I would have a go at it.
Just take it easy, whitening toothpaste or jewellers rouge.
If it breaks, anything can be sourced, it just takes time.
Don’t forget your goggles…

They would do miracles on paint but none of them will work on glass David.
I tried and failed miserably, I ruined a window this way…
Jewellers rouge is to soft and doesn’t cut.
Rougher abrasives just dull the glass and make more scratches than they remove.
Plus as it’s a dry paste, it heats the glass very fast and dry felt could also scratch the glass.
As I wrote before, Cerium Oxide is the only thing that works well.

I have a thought or two. The laminated glass in the windshield is not as hard as the tempered glass in the doors.

Tempered glass is regular glass that is heat treated. it becomes far more brittle. so, on impact it shatters in to crystals. Not dangerous shards…

Therefore, polishing, which is a process of removing material is much more difficult. Possible???

Carl

I see frost restoration sell a kit for glass, but it does say for hairline scratches.
But also suitable for toughened glass.