Doors won't lock when shifter moved from Park

Hi
Intermittent problem with 97 XK8.
On moving shifter from Park doors do not lock.
And at the same time, there is a click under the J-gate when I step on the brake.
Ideas?
Thank you.

The click you are hearing is the solenoid operating allowing you to move the shifter out of PARK.

The doors should lock automatically when the cars speed is around 5 MPH and not when you shift from park.

Thank you but…

When the drive away door lock system is working properly, there is no click when moving shifter out of park. The click is only present when the drive away door lock system is not working properly.

Also, when the door lock system is working properly, the doors lock when the shifter is moved from Park even if the car is sitting still.

Thank you

“Not in park switch” most probably at fault.

Got it, thank you. Will suggest to “garage” that is the problem.

Loren,

It may be that you don’t hear the click of the shift interlock solenoid when the door locking is working because of the noise of the locks operating. Unlike S Type, 97MY XK8 does not have speed sensing door locking. It should lock as soon as the shifter moves from P. On my car you only have to move it a fraction and the doors lock and I tend to press the brake pedal and mover the shifter all in one go so I don’t hear the click unless I do the two separately.

I think the finger of suspicion does point to the not-in-park switch but there are other things it could be. There is a relay in the locking circuit that switches a ground to both door locks. You could check this next time the fault occurs by trying to lock the doors manually. If you lock the driver’s door and the passenger’s door follows, that will rule out the relay and its circuitry.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

Thanks

Amazing how complex this is. But is true
If door locking fails on moving shifter from Park, and I manually lock drivers door, passenger door follows, is locked.

I would like to find a description of and repair of the not-in-park switch. But have failed. Any idea where I might find that?

Thanks

I have searched but can’t find any documented procedure for the replacement of this switch. It must be built in to the shifter assembly and appears to have its own connector which means that the plug could be disconnected and a temporarily bridged connection made thus bypassing the switch itself. I would be surprised if the switch is anything other than a standard microswitch that can be sourced fairly easily but I imagine that any commercial garage faced with this problem would replace the entire unit.

It is by no means certain that your problem is caused by this switch; it could just as easily be the wiring and unless you have the time and equipment to chase this fault down yourself it might pay to live with it until it becomes permanent when the cause will be easier to locate. You can spend a lot of money paying someone else to track down an intermittent problem.

Eric

Well I can do nothing but…

Lotsa posts say if you have a funky electrical thing first check out the battery. And simple tests are

1. charge up battery; let car sit for 24hrs; see if voltage is ≥ 12.45
  2. charge up battery; leave lights on 5 minutes; see if voltage is ≥ 12.45.
    So I did both and battery passed and drive away worked.

But then…
I did the 5 minute light thing again, and immediately thereafter did another 5 minutes of lights on; so 10 minutes total. Bingo, drive away lock failed.

And, if you then drive away with the doors not locked, somewhere down the road the doors lock.

This is quite repeatable.

Since the car is not driven every day, seems quite likely that the etiology of the failure to drive away lock is simply depleted battery.

Sound true to all you pros at this stuff?

Fully charge the battery and see how long it takes for the fault to reappear. If you do not drive this car on a regular basis then a CTEK battery maintainer will be your best friend.

Hi Am in the process of doing this

Still continue to struggle with this. Seems to be
Keep battery charged > no problem
Let battery run down by disuse > problem appears
So simple answer is CTEK but is interesting
Issue seems to be
With or after run down battery, car does not know if shifter is in or out of Park
Is that a clue that might identify anything at fault?
Are we still looking at the not-in-park switch?

still working on this
did put in new battery and it is super but did not solve door lock problem which is to review, intermittently when shifter moved from Park, doors do not lock

two parts have switches/connectors
LJA6190AC and MJA4940AG but I cannot find out what these switches/connectors do

does anyone know what these switches/connectors do or where I might find out?

thank you

From what you are saying it seems you have a parasitic drain on the battery which needs rectifying before you can move forward.

A common drain is the backup alarm sounder shorting through its internal battery. From memory I think it’s under the right front wheel arch liner and can be disconnected.

When completely shut down your car should pull no more than 30 milliamperes and is an easy test to carry out.

Although I have not found a Jaguar sourced description of the operation of the Drive Away Door Locking, it does look highly likely that DADL is initiated by moving the shifter out of Park rather than speed sensing. It certainly works that way on my XK8 which is also a '97.

Looking at the diagram, as Jimbov8 has suggested, the Not In Park switch seems to be the switch that provides the signal for this function as an input to the Body Processor Module. (The BPM is located behind the glovebox)

The two part numbers that you reference are both plates that carry microswitches but without actually having a shifter to examine I don’t know which switch is which.
If you gain access to your shifter assembly you can observe which switch operates when you move the lever out of park and you could also confirm this by looking at the colour of the wiring which as you can see is Black/Pink and Black/Slate.
When the fault occurs you could bridge the switch and see if the locking then operates. Since the NIP switch provides a ground to BPM that may be also be a cause if it has corrosion. Measuring the resistance to ground is very easy and it should not be more than a couple of ohms.
I have to say that you could waste a great deal of time trying to track down an irritating but very minor intermittent problem and my inclination would be to live with it until it became a permanent fault.

Thanks a bunch

I have stopped throwing $$ at this while it is intermittent. I did put in the new battery cuz the battery was 5 years old. Was recently away for 2 weeks and voltage on departure was 12.65 and on return was 12.5 which seems pretty good.

Is true the function is NIP (not in park) and not DADL (drive away)

Am retired so have time to work on this puzzle. Have attached two pics, one names the switches but still no definitive association with part # and switch.

part numbers from dealer again
JLM203404 changed to LJA6190AC
MJA4940AE then to AF then to AG

That’s great. I’ve seen the drawing before but without the switch identification.

I used DADL as a general term for automatic door locking as you start to drive off but the systems work differently. S Type is speed related.

But, since you know which is right connector, if you can reach it with the trim removed, why not wait until the fault occurs and then poke a bridging link into the back of the connector? If the doors then lock you know you have a dodgy switch, if not, you’ve ruled the switch out and you have to look elsewhere.

BTW, if it does turn out to be the microswitch, I wouldn’t pay stupid money for a bit of Jaguar plate with a new switch attached. You can easily find a suitable replacement switch online and just change it.

I’m trying to remember but all the Jaguars I’ve had that have had the auto door locking feature have been DADL and not NIP. This was true for my 98 XK8 convertible and is true for my present 04 X Type. I have to accelerate to a trigger speed and hear the doors lock. This happens within a few feet.

Could this differ between destination countries like daytime running lights.

My X300 is NIP and I had never noticed the park lock solenoid activating until my friend sat in and pushed the brake pedal a few times with the door open, The problem is I had just had the centre console out and thought I’d messed something up. In reality I think the doors locking would normally mask it.

Interesting point, Grahame. For door locking, the electrical guide doesn’t differentiate between markets as it does for some other systems.
I have a '97 XK8 convertible and the doors lock as soon as the selector is moved out of Park. I also have a 2000 S Type where the doors lock pretty well as soon as the car is moving either forwards or backwards but not until it moves. XK8 and S Type have completely different electrical architectures. XK8 shares its architecture with XJ (and S Type shares with X Type) but they are dissimilar in many respects. XK8/XJ is older and much simpler.