Dove Grey paint code (Updating old Topic) never was resolved

I want to replicate my 1956 XK-140 SE, OTS’s original color, Dove Grey. I received the Paint Code Heritage Certificate with the following paint code listings: ICI - 2395, BD - Q1077, PJ - J861. It indicates the Dove Grey color was used from 01/01/1954 through 01/07/1956. Unfortunately none of my paint sources can identify these manufacturers or codes.

I have determined that PJ is likely Pinchin Johnson, subsequently purchased by PPG, however my source cannot identify the color by the provided code. BD is likely British Domolac (I haven’t been able to identify a successor company). Anybody have any information that could help in this search?
Tom A

Hi Tom, here is the paint code/formula for Dove Grey, this mix is in their R-M Onyx line. the paint company is BASF
Kevin

Kevin, Thank you so much for that. This helps a great deal, I know BASF is a line my sources are familiar with. …My XK-140 thanks you as well.

Tom A.

Urs Schmid’s XK120 book and Service Bulletin 114 say the post-Dec-'52 Dove Grey was Pinchin Johnson J.861 synthetic enamel and the formula is this:
Base RM 25449
SC01 - 93.1 gr
SC77 - 154.3 gr
SC10 - 303.6 gr
SC67 - 481.6 gr
SC25 - 752.0 gr
SC90 - 1131.gr

For pre-Dec-'52 cars, Dove Grey was British Dolomac Zofelac D.3105 cellulose enamel.
TCP Global in California has the formula for this one and all the '48-'52 colors. I have used them for Gunmetal Grey.

Just thought I would mention the SC formula is signal Stage UNO HD and the HB formula is Base Clear Onyx, booth are of very high quality.

Kevin

1 Like

Rob,
Thanks for that formula. I will check it out. According to my Heritage Certificate, the formula for Pinchin Johnson is J.861, as you indicated.
(although they say it was used from 1954-1956. Perhaps that date is just the specific link to the XK-140’s. Perhaps same formula used in the 120’s as well. )
Thanks,

Tom A.

Hi Tom
Did you manage to find out the modern formula?
If so, could you give it to me, please?
Best
Herve

No, Have not found a modern formula as such but I have ordered a quart of “Dove Grey” for the XK-140 from TCP Global (Duncan, SC) just to see a live example. Unfortunately they don’t disclose the formula. It cost me $65.00 to create a chip and the results were not satisfying as I do not like the color. …looks to have a definite bronze tone that I do not find appealing. I am going to search further.

Tom A

Check with Bill Bassett. It seems to be gray with a slight touch of green.