Draining 85 XJ6 III?

Hi folks, will be finally getting around to draining driver side tank (only one that doesn’t leak). Will be putting in line filter and replacing old canister filter as well. Is it ok to drain tank and leave empty for a while? Have other things to do with the car before I get her up and running and don’t want to replace the fuel to only let it get old again. Your help always appreciated.

JR 85 XJ6 III

Sure. I’d blast some WD40 in them and maybe leave the plug out so they can air out - not sure. Get new gaskets for the drain plug :slightly_smiling_face:

If you ever get around to replacing the other side, the first time is a pain, the second time I estimate 3-4 hours but it is worth it, of course.

JR,

depends a bit on what time frame you’re thinking of … I usually keep the tank filled up in hibernating cars and never had a problem with up to 5 months of sitting. For anything more there would be fuel preservatives for little money.

Leaving the tank empty for that kind of time would get me concerned. Even WD40 dissolves quickly and won’t protect metal surfaces for long. Maybe with a super dry environment … but I’d prefer to let the fuel do the protection, unless you see the ugly head of that long time restoration monster getting at you …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks for your comment. The car is located in Bakersfield Ca. in a very dry environment.

O.k. … not so much problems with humidity and rust then:-) I envy you … but then again, what do you do to keep that leather soft;-)

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Drench in leatherique.