Draining antifreeze

You won’t be able to fit one from the hardware store directly unfortunately as it’s BSPT thread. However you can buy an adapter cheap. These two things would work, and as a bonus it has threads on the outside so you can attach a hose and drain it right into a jug.

I have some nice chrome plated plugs, check my store.

When I was a kid, I had a crappy old Ford. My father would see me headed out to the car with a box of tools and he’d say “it works, don’t gild the lily”. Whether out of whimsy or rebellion, I fell into the habit of using a spray can of gold paint on any part I fixed or replaced. One day he saw me under the hood and came over to make his usual sharp comment. I just stood back and presented my engine, by this time resplendent in shining gold paint. He said “robbing Fort Knox?”

3 Likes

I did know it was not a standard thread. Your solution looks perfect if one doesn’t care about correctness. Thanks. Have you done this?

I bought a set, then two days after it arrived I found a NOS drain on ebay, go figure. It’s nice quality, far better than the original part.

IIRC, a stock 6-cylinder E Type cooling system is ~4 gallons: the NASCAR radiator Dad installed in Tweety made it 6!

Just FYI the reviews on the valve part are not favorable…China? fails soon etc. Possibly a better quality same type is avail? Nick

I held it in my hand. It’s quite solid. As for leaks, not sure. Ultimately to survive in that rusty environment for decades it would have to have an adamantium ball. Since the outside is threaded, I also bought a 1/4" threaded cap so leaks in operation couldn’t happen

1 Like

I like the concept and how it would fit, and that subsequent drains can be done easily, even flushes, …without the old petcock…two reviews said same about quality in use but it may have been in a use where it was on/off frequently, so maybe not an issue for infrequent use,. The cap is clever. Thanks for the tips tho.,.think I will obtain em or similar, Nick

And let’s not forget they probably saved about ten bob per engine.

They may also have been using it in high pressure applications. The most these would see is like 10psi

I had considered these as a product at one time, but the size, appearance and quality were grossly inappropriate. I may even have some in BSP sizes under my workbench, I’ll check. If I do, free for first ask.

A plug is simple and looks nice. All you need to do is put a turkey pan underneath to catch fluid. Don’t gild the lily.

1 Like

with just a plug… each time you undo…and redo it is in the threads in the block,…,the parts above avoid that.

Yes, screw threads are made to do that. What’s more, screw plugs are sealed by replaceable washers.

But if you want valves. I have two. Just e-mail your address, don’t even sweat the postage. These are first quality ball valves, rated at 450psi. They’re 1/4NPT m/f, so you would need to get an adapter. They’ll probably be fine. I also had some BSPT valves like these, but they’ve gone missing. Where you’ll go wrong with these is that the handle seal is fluoroelastomer and the ball seal is PTFE. The seals will let you down, but the good thing is that they will easily screw out of the block. Just drop me a line if you want either or both.

valves

After all this… I used an offset wrench to make a sort of lever and the block drain opened right up
:-):grinning:

1 Like

and…what came out?

Ummm. Antifreeze? At least I hope that was what that green stuff was.

better then, than gooey yellow rusty ooze with scale and slime and metal bits from water pump impellers,

i’m optimistic that all came out with the old water pump…