Draining fuel tank via shrader valve

I am about to try and start the xj8 after 5 years layup. I want to get all the old fuel out of the system including the lines so I have best chance of a quick start. If I attach a foot pump connector pipe (minus the pump) onto the shrader valve into a container ensuring no chance of splashback is this an effective solution? The connector should open the valve and allow fuel to be fed safely away providing the end of the pipe is same diameter as fuel line.
Anyone done this?

There is absolutely no need to get rid of the old petrol. If it makes you feel better, top up with fresh fuel before you start the engine.

Regards,
Bard

Thanks it’s now running (idling). Battery is gassing with 18+volts going in dropping slowly to 15.5 volts fully charged so something is amiss as this is causing the battery to vent off.
Alternator or something else…?

Steve, read through this as the battery may be heavily sulphated after the layup:

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq16.htm#recover

Hi Neil,
The battery was not left in the car! It has been on charge on and off as solar batteries are my business.
I bought a new battery for it just before layup and this battery left acid in the boot taking off a lot of paint. I thought it was a duff battery as never seen leakage before on a sealed battery. Both batteries have been out of the car.
I checked the older battery and it was 100% having been well charged and held a good charge so I use that to restart. The smell was the giveaway as it gassed right away. I have been checking the voltage and it still starts off at 17v and drops to 15.5v. I switched on all the power headlights, blower etc. and the voltage held up. I checked the voltage after switching off and leaving it for a while and the standing voltage had increased from 12.55 to 12.65 thus the charge is going in but the charging voltage is too high. I will replace with the newer battery just to check it is not internal resistance causing this but as this one leaked originally I think that has been covered.
I checked and cleaned the main earthing connection engine to body. Interesting that you cannot remove the engine earth bolt without removing the exhaust system! Brilliant.
I checked the alternator leads but see nothing amiss.
The gearbox jolts into reverse but didn’t do it a couple of times today so intermittent issue.
Everything works except the dash warning lights are on unless I rev to 1200- 1500 then they go off. Gearbox interlock is jammed but all works when I override it. Buzzer sounds if I leave in neutral.
Waiting for new scanner to get some codes. The other issues remain whether battery is good or bad. It sounds really sweet (Nikasil survivor) so very sad that these issues may lead to it’s demise.