Draining the gas tank?

No. You don’t want a high efficiency filter on the pickup, all you should have is a screen to stop the gross bits from running through the pump. The pump isn’t especially sensitive to fine dirt. But increasing resistance by installing a high efficiency filter between pump and tank will increase the tendency to vapor lock. The stock filter is upstream of the pump because that part of the fuel system is pressurized.

Yeah I’m not liking that
Between the restriction and the filter could collapse
I just don’t like that
Imho
Get a new tank
New pick up pipe and screen
Add a new fuel pump and filter Up Front
Filter on the pickup pipe must create ALOT of stress on the pump with restriction?
Your only 2 to 4 pounds on the pump
Good luck either way

Unless your screen fitting is fraying or torn you don’t need to replace it. New ones are kind of spendy for what they are. Just spray it clean and reinstall. It doesn’t need to look pretty.

I just pulled my sump today after using a battery powered siphon to drain 95% of the gas into a gas can, then disconnected the fuel line to the carbs, ran the fuel pump for a few minutes and had a 100% empty tank. Then a wrench on the sump fitting and bingo bango it was off. The only gas in the car was in the sump (a few ounces). The sump was filled with dirt and what looked like rusty sand. I have a new sump and rubber seal to go on (I replaced the mesh filter a few months ago and it was clean) once I get a stainless steel bolt to seal up the threaded drain hole (that the usual who sold it neglected to provide) I will install the new sump.

My sump has drain plug. When i opened it up it was clogged solid. I pulled the pick-up and the mesh filter had nail stuck in it, a futile attempt to get better flow. There was 2 inches of tarry gunk in the sump. I swabbed that out from the top since there was no way to get the sump off. the tank its self was remarkably clean

When I replaced the gasket on the fuel pickup, I looked into the tank and it looked spotless. The sump however was a very different story. I would have reused the sump except that the PO used glue of some kind as a make shift gasket to hold the drain plug in. As a result, new sump and rubber gasket that holds it to the tank is on order.