Drip pipes on the bulkhead

In the engine bay, on the bulkhead, there are 2 water drip pipes that take the rain water from the chrome surround, where the wipers are and dump the resulting water down the sides of the gearbox.
I was going to fit some new 45 degree rubber hoses but have thought about the amount of heat that builds up at the back of the V12 and wonder if it may be a better idea to leave these 2 openings Open and fit some trumpets to allow the heat to escape…? Any sages out there with a more learned opinion ??

Mike,
I do not recommend leaving them open. That would be an open invitation to rodents looking for an easy way into the interior of your car. Those elbows with their duck bill ends lead to the plenum where air is drawn into the heater blower motors. We live in a rural area where many kinds of rodents live. I occasionally find their “evidence” in our engine bays. I would not want to discover that they made their way into the interior of our Jaguars.

Paul

I have also thought about venting the engine compartment in some manner. The space these two pipes drain is the fresh air plenum used by the climate control system and is subject to the slightly higher air pressure just below the windshield. I think there is a possibility that hot air and “engine smells” being allowed into this plenum might not be worth the small cooling effect on the engine. Just my opinion.

Dave

Dave,
Those elbows and their properly functioning duckbill ends help to keep engine bay smells out of the cabin. Leaving them off would likely result in more engine bay smells entering the cabin through the plenum and heater blower motors.

Paul

We’re on the same page Paul, I must do something wrong occasionally as I am trying to reply to a post. When I replied to V12-Smig and his question of venting the engine compartment, I did not see any other posts after his questions. My reply also didn’t indicate who the post was for, as your posts do. I feel a little silly now making a reply that is essentially the same as yours and apparently 1hr after yours.

Dave

… and not to mention that any exhaust leak (CO and CO²) will also find it’s way right into the cabin!

1 Like

Aristides,
Very good point. I would not want CO entering the cabin for safety reasons. I am usually against modifying cars for a variety of reasons. Safety is a primary reason for my concerns.

Paul

Paul

So we’re all agreed that it’s a bad idea then… :wink:

Haven’t looked, are they easy to replace and available? I shattered one of mine while working on the heater core a while back.

They are right back on the bulk head and mine cracked immediately when I touched them, thankfully my engine is out so access is not an issue, they are held together with a metal circlip clamp (don’t know the correct name) and I had to slowly prise them off and cut them loose… the drip tubes are on back order at SNG barret…

As of 4-5 years ago I could’t find any new ones. Well, actually, they’re a two piece affair, tube and duckbill. One of the pieces, I can’t remember which, is NLA from Jaguar.

I’ve been meaning to research some alternatives. Here are a couple of thought-starters that might be a starting point

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/tr02207a.html

Cheers
DD

3 Likes

Oetiker clamp. These comes in a huge variety of sizes and design variants. Hundreds of vendors out there; you needn’t buy from an automotive source but here’s one:

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/mf196.html

Cheers
DD