Drive line coupler?

Recently while going through my file for 2002 XJR, stumbled upon a list of about 12 service items from a few years ago (most items were familiar to me and already completed), but one item “replace drive line coupler” was a mystery to me. I do not recall seeing this before. Can anyone shed some light on what this “drive line coupler” does, and/or why I should have it replaced.

Its probably the Jurid which connects the drive shaft to the diff input shaft, its a rubber donut which over time can develop cracks and cause vibrations.
If you do end up replacing it be aware that there is a specific way it needs to be orientated, the thicker portion needs to be under compression when the drive shaft is turning in the forward direction.
To put it another way, looking at the Jurid shown the hole thats covered by the sticker needs to be where the drive shaft is located, the next one to the right would be where the bolt from the diff input flange bolt would go. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the informative reply; the picture triggered my memory on this – I know this part as a “flexible coupler”, two of them front and back. I believe, in general the rear one tends to be more
damaged (more and/or wider cracks). Is it the same part No. for the front and rear couplers? Regarding the “particular orientation” for installation – does this apply to both the front and rear couplers?
And, is it possible to install it/them in the wrong orientation; if yes, what are the consequences?

Yes they both need to be in the correct orientation, if not the thinner section of the Jurid will be trying to transmit the power, this will lead to stretching and ultimately cracking. Its been a few months since I had mine off the XJR but I think there may be a small arrow head on the circumference indication which direction the Jurid should be rotating?

I hate to tag into this, but I suspect my 2005 Super probably is in need of these being freshened as I feel slight vibes at around 60 and seems to be driveline related to me. I just want to confirm that there is a total of two one front one back. Is there a best source for these Jurid Couplers? Most of Ebay seems to exclude the fitments for the 350 cars. Is there a common fit to different models? I would hate to get the wrong ones. Many thanks in advance!

There’s always the jaguarlandroverspares site :slight_smile: