Drive Shaft U Joint Problems

Heat is the answer on this one.

1 Like

Yes… sadly!

Oxy-acetylene is yore leel fren…:crazy_face:

1 Like

I had one experience, trying to replace them in situ: for the hassle and heartache, I never tried again. I saved no time, over pulling the IRS.

Me neither, because you’d have to disconnect the exhaust, disconnect the hand brake, disconnect the brake hydraulics (then bleed them afterwards) mess with eight awkward bolts on the mounts (and get them back in later) and disconnect the anti-roll bar, all not needed.
and then you still have to do all the following work which can be done on the car:-
Just remove one nut on the hub, one shock and then four bolts at the brake disc and the driveshaft is out.

Clive, as was said above, we have different terms. To me, the drive shaft is the one from the tans to the differential. Some call it a propeller shaft. To me, what you described, is a half shaft. I am referring to the shaft from the trans to the diff, not the one you are showing.
Tom

1 Like

My question was “How do you press the U joints out and in, especially the front ones, with the drive shaft in the car?” While I should have specified “propeller shaft” and not “drive shaft”, as you have clearly shown you have removed the half shaft (or British drive shaft) from the car to change a U joint.

I apologize if you thought I was bringing semantics into the discussion. Due to some of the questions and replies I was concerned that there was confusion regarding exactly what “driveshaft” was being discussed. My post was simply an attempt to clarify what was being discussed. Some of the later posts indicate that there is confusion involved. Hopefully you will get this sorted out to your satisfaction. Fwiw my opinion is that the propshaft u-joints can be changed in place in the vehicle but it is potentially more trouble than it is worth. Driveshaft (british) u-joints can also be replaced without dropping the irs and the driveshafts are relatively easy to remove.

1 Like

So what do the Brits call the shaft from the transmission if the rear drive isn’t independent.

I would make an argument that “prop shaft” is a term for an airplane or boat, something that has a propeller.

You would be right. It is also the British term for what is called a driveshaft in North America. Do an internet search or check in a british shop manual if you want to confirm it.

1 Like

When I have to describe a part which maybe confusing to others I refer to the parts manual for the correct jag term

FWIW, the Jaguar Parts Lists for the E-Type refer to the Propeller Shaft and Half Shafts, as do the appropriate sections of the Workshop Manual. Seems to me that’s as a good a place to start as any when discussing E-Type components.

David, are you trying to tell me the reason my ots will not move is it does not have a drive shaft.:grinning:
Tom

2 Likes

I wonder what happens when someone is rebuilding an XK motor and sees the term “gudgeon pin” in the factory manual.

Or is working on a modern X200 S-type and under “Battery and Charging System” they see a section labeled “Generator and Regulator.”

Dave

In Brit Speak the propshaft runs from the transmission tail shaft to the input flange of the differential. An E-type has two half shafts one on each side of the differential.

2 Likes

From my Haynes manual in case it helps…

David
68 E-type FHC

In the trucking industry, it’s called the ‘driveline.’

Just to add more confusion…!

1 Like

They should use Google, (if they are too shy or thin-skinned :grinning: to ask here)

I remember one gent getting frustrated as we tried to guide him through a complicated job, he didnt seem to want to pay attention to the FSM

At one point I advised him to Google “cheese head screw”