Drive shaft vibration

Cat40 …

Front rotors … Easy Peasy !

Warped rotors are a common staple on modern (and relatively modern) cars. In the old days they were big and beefy so they didn’t warp nearly as easily, and they could be turned (retrued) several times. Modern rotors are thinner because of weight saving and $$ and since they normally can’t be turned need to be replaced instead. So again it’s now become a normal maintenance issue.

I didn’t think there was any way that your tranny mount was your vibration culprit so no surprise there.
80% chance that’s it your center carrier bearing and 19% chance it’s the problem I had with the driveshaft itself.

That leaves 1% chance that it has something to do with space aliens :skull: (You DO know they’re out there)

1 Like

A warped road wheel can also cause vibration - I swapped out my spare with the left rear and my vibration on acceleration disappeared.

Thanks abercanadian, it’s just too fast of a vibration to be a wheel.

Well the center bearing is done so that only leaves the prop shaft, although, today I was checking with the wheels up and noticed the rear drivers wheel was going up and down like and unbalance, turns out the output shaft was going up and down to, that’s the one that had a loose nut on it. It moves about 8mm. something wrong!!

Cat40 …

If you can get your car up on a chassis lift …

18%20AM

… and have someone put the car in drive and vary the rpm you will definitely be able to see the drive shaft vibrating if that’s your problem. If you’ve eliminated the center carrier bearing that only leaves the
forward driveshaft itself. This could be a welded on balancing weight that’s somehow come loose (not very likely) or the deterioration of the vulcanized rubber that bonds the inner and outer forward drive shaft.

It will be very obvious just watching it run if your problem is a bad rear wheel rim or defective differential half shaft rather than the drive shaft itself.