Driveshaft Central Bearing Alingment [Solved]

Trial and error? Really?

On the S3 there is no other way to adjust centre bearing if it causes vibration, Kirbert…

That said; symptoms description, vibration at 60 km/h and clunking at hard acceleration - is not on par with description of centre bearing alignment problem…

And hard acceleration causes the engine/gearbox to shift around, particularly if engine mounts have gone soft. Causing parts to bang together…?

Prognosis; adjusting centre bearing will not eliminate the original problem…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe

Have you got any advice for me in removing both prop shafts and centre bearing assembly ?

The FSM makes it sound so very easy

Lucky I get to practice on a wreck with no engine or trans, but will, like you, be grovelling on my back

did you change the uni-joints or centre bearing whilst in there ?

The major hassle is that you have to undo the exhaust, remove the transmission rear mount and all the plates and heat shields. After that removing the prop-shaft and central bearing is easy, you can slide it out in one piece.
Considering the work involved I replaced everything, U-joints, central bearing and transmission mount.
I had the exceptional luck to be able to use a friend’s lift and that made the work considerably easier.

Update:

Re-adjusted the rear transmission mount, it was slightly off-center, and fashioned a damper washer (C29011) that was missing. I used a 0.5" lock washer and rounded the edges.
Now the gearbox moves freely and I could feel the damping effect of the damper washer.

Re-adjusted the driveshaft central bearing, it’s now almost all the way to the right side of the car with gust 5mm clearance from the tunnel.

Both the vibration and the clunking noise upon hard acceleration are gone…!

Thank you all for the help.
Aristides

3 Likes

Congratulations, Aristides! What a nice way to start into the new year!

Best wishes

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like