Drop in headlights for a S2 in 2020

All,

I’d like to upgrade the headlights (better illumination and distance) on my 1970 2+2 and would love a drop in kit. Searching, there is information overload and a lot of it is dated.

So, what’s the best drop in solution? Is the Cibie H4 a drop in or does it require additional components?

Open to ideas.

Thanks!

David
I installed the Cibe H4 about 45 years ago and fit is as original. But that was 45 years ago, maybe the design has changed? I have replaced the original H4 bulb with a LED with built in fan that puts out a lot more light.
Glenn

With H4s, to get the benefit, a relay system is recommended: the original wiring is marginal, at best.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

I put H4s in my car in the 80s with no problem ('67) for the last 30 years I had the car with no mods and greatly improved lighting. That said I had noticed that there are several wattage H4s available. You will be in trouble if you get the high wattage ones, I believe the ones I had were 55 watts.
pauls

I just put in halogen and they are perfectly adequate.
LLoyd

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell

Care to share what you put in. Was it a drop in replacement?

I may have a shop look at this as I’m sending her there for a coolant issue.

May I suggest E-code headlights https://www.busdepot.com/cibh4 with 55W bulbs or better yet, add relays and a separate power lead from the back of the alternator and run some quality 80/100 watt bulbs. Personally I think the Cibie lenses are better than the Hella

1 Like

David is in luck as the series 2. Wiring was a bit upgraded for A/C and rear heated windows and all.
Do you mean drop in as sealed beam halogen upgrades because those other kits which are great as well need a relay and all
I just upgrade to halogen sealed beams
But in rural areas the others are great
Gtjoey1314

I use a Hella 002395801 kit (additional numbers “HLMP Kit 7”) 60/55 w without relays. They are a straight fit into Ser 1.5 buckets (which I believe are the same as Ser II buckets) and will also work in Ser I buckets if you make small spacers to fit behind the chrome retaining ring for the lamp. The bulbs fit the standard wiring harness. They are H4 lamps.

I used Hella bodies and LED bulbs in my conversion. Brighter and insignificant amp draw.

Good to hear the wiring was uprated from the S1s: I used standard Hellas in Tweety and they fried the 3-prong plugs on the back of the headlights, plus I measured an almost 2-volt drop from the switch to the lights.

Had I kept it, and perhaps on Margaret–and definitely on Harvey–Im building a relay bank for the uprated headlights. I need maximum wattage out in front of me.

I measured voltage drop and didn’t record any, which can’t be right. I agree they would be better with 80/100 w bulbs – a winter with Covid project – next year. They work fine on an open headlight car with this wattage (60/55) but not happy on covered headlights.

Fortunately, the Interwebz haz kits to do Harvey with, that just plugs into the standard light sockets, and places the relays close to the headlights.

The harness and the Hellas ain’t cheap, anymore, but I am a lifelong fan of Hellas.

Which LEDs have you used for headlights? There are many to choose from and I hate it when I buy junk.

The LEDs I used are no longer available. They had been listed for motorcycle use (H4) They had two leds per bulb and when using High beam did not make much of a difference, can use high beam all the time. I had gone back and tried to find the 3 led version I had seen but both the 2 and 3 led version are no longer listed. I had gone through 100s of listings to find a unit that was short enough to fit without cutting out the back of bucket. There are lots of complete light assemblies for Jeeps that will fit but will not look period correct.
Glenn

I’m going to talk to the shop about updates wiring and relays for a kit.

I’m ok having that level of work done but I want to avoid non reversible stuff.

The car is going to the Dr tomorrow for the coolant blow out, and I mentioned I’d like to chat about the headlights.

I’ll keep you all posted but I am leaning Cibie with the higher wattage bulbs.

Plug n play

Grote 90941-5 7" LED Sealed Beam Headlight

1 Like

Cibie used to be a good light: all the relays and adapter harnessing can go in behind the sugar scoop.

That’s sexy. Any adapters or relays needed? I am not familiar with how the headlight connections look.

Nope just plug them in. So easy.

Amazon