Dropping subframe

I can’t remember if i asked this earlier, and can’t find my post.

I’m dropping subframe on my 88 XJS V12 next month. I’m having it sandblasted and painted.

I’m also replacing steering rack bushings, and all p/s hoses.

Would it be easier to drop and install subframe with steering rack/hoses still attached? Or do i need to remove steering rack to drop subframe?

Thanks

Since you’ll be servicing the rack, I don’t think it matters which way you go.

I assume it will be MILES easier redoing the rack bushings and hoses with the subframe ‘on the bench’

But I also want to make sure removing subframe with rack still attached isn’t impossible or crazy.

As long as the tie rods are undone, I don’t see the difference.

1 Like

It comes out with the rack and hoses still in place. And you don’t need to take off the tie rod ends first. Don’t know why that was suggested.

I had read on Bernards website that he removed exhaust downpipes to remove subframe with rack. I hope not?

You’ll probably have to. It’s close quarters.

I had to partially remove rack during summer just to get downpipe in (i have new catless downpipes). So i cannot remove downpipe without moving rack. I had no trouble getting to pinch bolt with downpipe in.

I guess ill wait and see. Id rather leave rack on.

Why? Good question - because I keep forgetting that the early cars don’t have the steering bushings I have in my 1995. Those are best renewed on the bench, according to this procedure by Dick Maury.

Removal of the rack is more or less a mandatory step, and if subframe is being dropped, it won’t matter which one comes out first.