DS420 engine for my 240?

From what I can read on various Jaguar places, I should be able to fit this engine in my 240.

The later blocks do have the bolt holes for the forward mounting, I might need to mess about with water pump parts.

I can use my starter motor. Alternator cant be hard. Exhaust manifolds I can use mine

Inlet…since my 240 has a straight port head I can use my manifold, my HS6 might be a bit small, might need to do a bit of matching.

And maybe my exhaust downpipes will need to be lengthened an inch to account for the inch taller block of the 4.2.

1 Like

The 4.2L engine will be markedly taller. The 2.4L engine block is roughly 2-3/4" shorter than all other displacement XK engines.

Jaguar reduced the deck height height from 11.5 in (292 mm) to 8.85 in (225 mm) to make the 2.4L engine.

Interesting. Thanks. I assumed the block height difference was just the 1" difference in stroke. I guess rod length and piston pin height too.

Is the 2.8 taller than the 2.4?
The difference in height (2.8 to 4.2) is definitely much more than an inch. On the 2.8 there is no cover plate on the rear but instead they have a 1“ plug inside the bellhousing area, and there is not much space above.

I don’t have any experience with the 2.8L. So far as I know, none of them made it to this side of the pond.

Right.

They‘d be cheap in the UK and it looks good.
Piston holing issues have been overcome and they are said to run sweeter than the 4.2. Also no long stud issues so unless you want a bit more power and efficiency I would consider it as well.

The DS420 engines came with hif7 or so so your hs6 should do okay with the right needles. On a 2.8 no such concerns although they came with hd8.

We sort of discussed this about 18 months ago, for a slightly different reason.

Thank you. All very informative.

My car is a 240, I drove it home, it needs a lot of sorting out, a sort of mega service.

I kinda like the short stroke 2.4, but the allure of a 4.2 and longer diff is strong.

I forgot to add that I had a Daimler Sovereign S1 2.8 with the waftamatic slushbox and shorter diff, that was a fab round town hooligan car.

My 240 with a 3.4 XJ6 Engine fitted , did all the work myself , made it look like a 340 engine , right down to the tacko drive on the back of the cam .
If your be using the XJ sump , your need to make roll bar spacers another 1/2 inch thicker !

Rod length is 5.625in. Much shorter than the 3.8/4.23