Dynamator alternator conversion, any experience/

Hello Folks,
I am researching an alternative to an original generator for a customers XK140. I see adds for a Dynamator alternator that looks sorta like an original C45. Does anyone have any experience with this unit or know of any other people making them?

Many thanks
Wes Keyes
York,Maine

1 Like

I have a Dynator copy of a Lucas C40T dynamo in my 289 Cobra, which works very well. As you can see in the photo, this car (a leafspring UK-market road car) has a cable tachometer drive off the back of the dynamo which this unit replicates. It all works beautifully with a very few wiring mods. I also have a dummy control box from Dynalite, which is very clever (just visible on the other side of the engine bay bulkhead). This has all the needed wiring modifications made internally, and incorporates a 40A (‘whole system,’ bar starter) fuse for added safety. Looking under bonnet, the only difference you can spot is that the yellow ignition light cable to the RB106 is connected to a different terminal from usual. The Cobra uses an ignition warning light and an ammeter, all of which I have retained for originality. Very pleased with it all round.

Roger

edit - sorry Wes, just noticed you are in the US. The main manufacturers of these in the UK are Dynator (as I used) and Dynalite (who supplied my RB106 control box). I could easily have used a Dynalite alternator as well. I don’t know who handles these in the US.

I fitted one to my 140 about ten years ago. It has worked without problem and was easy to fit/wire up.

It has a fairly low output for an alternator, about 30 Amps I think so I didn’t have to upgrade the cables or ammeter.

I think the newer ones are higher output but not sure.

The local ones here have an aluminium barrel. So i got them to put it in the lathe and turn the outside to a reaonable impression of a special equipment generator.

Yes, these are aluminium casings as well. The one shown in the Cobra engine bay is exactly as supplied, but at some point I intend to engrave it with the Lucas markings. The Dynator is (I think) either 45 or 50A.

Hi Ed, who did you use locally, as I am probably in the market for one too.

It was from Castlemaine Auto Electrics. (CAE)

1 Like

Hello Folks,
Many thanks to all for the input and sources. Much appreciated!

Wes Keyes
York, Maine

Was it a XXXX brand dynamator?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Hi Wes i put the Dynalite C45 on my 140 last year Easy to install(correct bolt holes and threads etc) and connect .Full wiring instructions supplied.Looks the part and very happy with it
JOHN

Hello Roger, I also have UK-market AC Cobra 289, although coil spring, and am thinking of converting the dynamo to a Dynator alternator. I would appreciate your advice as to whether the Dynator worked out well for you, and has it been reliable?

Many thanks,

Ari

Hi Ari,

It’s been fine, no problems at all in 4 years since fitting. The car also has a dummy RB106 control box which acts as a terminal, and contains a ‘whole-car-system’ 55A fuse. A whole lot safer, and made by the same folk as the Dynator. The best thing about the Dynator is that it allows me to use the original cable-drive tachometer.

Hi Roger,

Thanks very much for your reply, I’ll go ahead with the conversion on my Cobra (COB6105). I also have a Jaguar XK120 Fixed Head Coupe which I may convert in future.

Best wishes,

Ari

Hi Ari,

I think it’s worthwhile. With the dummy control box as well, the only wiring change visible is the yellow wire on the control box moves to a different terminal, I think. Is 6105 still white? No record in the Registry after Roger Taylor, I think. My Cobra is a leafspring Kirkham, but not built like any other Kirkham (no billet aluminium anywhere!). It has an original 5-bolt motor and T10 trans, with a lot of parts from original cars I have collected over the years.

My XK140DHC is in the paintshop as we speak, and will be converted as soon as I start wiring it.

Best wishes

Roger

Hi Roger,

My car is now Silver. It is in the AC Owners’ Club Registry as being now owned by me, having purchased it in 2012 (see attached).

I took it on a rally in Italy in the summer of 2015 and it suffered quite a bit from the heat and traffic, necessitating almost constant use of the fan, leading to loss of battery power, etc., so I had in mind to eventually make the changeover to alternator. I’m glad to have seen your entry in the forum and am very grateful for your encouragement and advice on this project.

Your Kirkham sounds very nice, I once drove a Kirkham Cobra 427 and was quite impressed!

Best wishes,

Ari

04_Coil Spring AC(latest).pdf (245 KB)

The cooling system in mine is completely stock Cobra, but I managed to locate an original Hipo water pump a while back which helps. The car gets very hot when standing in traffic, even though the ‘delivery miles only’ Ford Comet mechanical fan is still on the water pump along with the electric fan. The electric fan runs most of the time if I drive the car in summer (both days), but the charging system keeps up with no problem.

I’d ask for a picture of yours, but we might get into trouble on a Jag forum…