Dynator/Dynalite

Has anyone fitted one of these to their XK? I plan to use one, but would like to know what pulley and fan looks right and fits best (offset, etc.). I do not have the originals, as the previous US owner hacked the body braces about to fit a GM alternator with its own double pulley.
I’m also planning on using a Powerlite (or similar) dummy control box to give an all-systems fuse (the Cobra has this setup and it gives real peace of mind, as well as far superior charging). Powerlite only make this as an RB340 - my question is, can a RB310 countrol box lid be fitted to a RB340 and look half-convincing?

Hello Roger, I’ve fitted a WOSP Dynator to my 140. It was very straightforward. The only point to watch is the pulley alignment. I used an XK140 10mm belt pulley original part number C7427 from Coventry Auto Components. I had to lightly machine one of the shims supplied with the Dynator to achieve perfect pulley alignment. Hope that helps. Cheers, Jon.

Thanks Jon, is that the normal C45, or the short one I’ve seen mentioned?
I’ll get on to CAC.
What did you do with your control box?

Roger

Hi Roger, it’s the std C45 model. I removed the gubbins of the control box and made it the junction box to accommodate the wiring change from dynamo to alternator. I also liked the WOSP unit as its output is not to excessive in terms of current, so as not to overload the wiring loom. It also weighs considerably less than a std C45 unit, which is good for the mountings and weight saving in general. Cheers, Jon.

Hi Jon, I have the C40T WOSP unit on the Cobra as it allows retention of the original cable-driven rev counter. They’re good bits of kit, well made and reliable, so far. As you say another benefit is sensible current output - no car of this period needs 80 or 100A unless you’ve got some serious modifications. The only real current draw is likely to be an aftermarket electric cooling fan, but if you could find a way of soft-starting it even that wouldn’t be a big problem.
Roger