[E-Type] Antisieze on splines?

In dry conditions, or in the case of a car not driven in the wet, once a year is proper maintenance.

Ill repeat: over the course of 40 years, not ever once did I see a wheel get stuck, using old-fashioned heavy grease.

I guess I should apologize for replying to an old post, Iā€™m new to this Jag Lovers website having just acquired an XK150.
This thread for some reason was close to the top of the list of topics when I logged in and I did not notice the age of the post, will try to do better!

1 Like

No need to apologize - just my silly sense of humour :grinning: I think that you hit on something with your ā€œnew to this Jag-Lovers websiteā€ comment. Weā€™ve seen a bunch of cases recently of very old threads being revived by new members, and I think your comment may help us understand it. I wonder if our admins can explain why such an old post (15 years in this case) would appear close to to the top of the list of topics for a new member? ā€¦and before I forget, welcome to the forum! Weā€™re a friendly bunch here (apart from me - Iā€™m just a an old curmudgeon, so everyone else just ignores meā€¦:grinning:)

1 Like

No need to apologize, I enjoyed seeing these posts from the past.
Thanks,
LLynn

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with topic necrophilia if it avoids starting a new thread with exactly the same content.

For me, itā€™s one of the more fun features of the new site: old threads!

Itā€™s interesting to see what has, or has not, changed in any given topic or problem.

I couldnā€™t stop laughing, just casual insert ā€œ15 years laterā€.

Lester

1 Like

I love that word, and Iā€™m starting to fit that description as well!

" Old, cranky, and more than a little stubborn, a curmudgeon is the gruff, grey-haired neighbor who refuses to hand out candy at Halloween"

1 Like

John Cook, of SkepticalScience.com fame, is also a pretty good cartoonist, so is publishing a book, about the proverbial ā€œcranky uncleā€, and how to argue science with them!

Not so. I hand out lots of candy on Halloween to the nasty little brats.

2 Likes

But only because you donā€™t want your house eggedā€¦:rofl:

1 Like

Of course. Is there any other reason?

Next year Iā€™m handing out little bags of antiseize.

1 Like

ā€¦BAAAAhahaha!

agree-----I had been using the aluminum containing anti-seize but it DID ā€œgallā€ the mating surface on my wheels----Iā€™m now thinking of using copper containing anti-seize. Any thoughts? Also want to use it on my spark plug threads.

Hi Tom,
I have both copper based and nickel based anti-sieze, the nickel based has a slightly higher temperature rating so thatā€™s the one I use the most, and yes I use it on my spark plugs and hand tighten them ā€˜snugā€™ not the 29 ft/lbs recommended by the spark plug manufacturer.
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

LLynn (and JJan),

I would be fearfull of them being not tight enough. I have seen a spark plug blown through a bonnet, they make the cutest little cone shaped hole.

LLoyd

ā€œManā€™s character is his fateā€

Heraclitus, Greek philosopher

ā€œWeā€™ll see about thatā€

LLoyd Nolan, rithmetician

Hi LLoyd,
Iā€™ll tell Jan Hi for you :slight_smile:
That would not be pleasant at all, how tight do you tighten yours?
Cheers,
LLynn