E type bonnet spacer washers

I am only saying that for very early cars, I am not the right person to ask.
That said, photos below of the S1 Bonnet Assembly drawing that resides at the Coventry Foundation clearly show the existance of the spacer washers.

1 Like

Thks for the jag document Serge
Cheers

As @PhilW said earlier in the thread, the early cars did not have the spacer washers. Reference to the 3.8L parts lists confirms this, whereas the 4.2L S1 lists show the spacers. The 3.8L parts lists differentiate between the first 500 bonnets (OBL) bonnets and the later ones, and neither show the spacers. So, it seems likely that the spacers came some time during the 3.8s, probably after your car. The part number C.10193 of the spacer is some indication of when it was added as the drawing office would have created the parts in sequential order. Iā€™d have to dig back looking for other parts in this range that have Parts Bulletin references, but I havenā€™t.

2 Likes

My early '62 originally had the spacer washers. I would think that if they were not included, the chrome strip would sit up too high in the seam. The washer creates a recess for the strip to sit down into.

2 Likes

The bonnet fits together better with the washers installed IMHO

My '63 (Nov '62 build) had spacer washers.

The spacers are a great solution for water drainage.

1 Like

Clive,
Indeed, you are right.
With no washers, chrome strip slightly protruding on picture below (one brass clip can be guessed under it):

Was that sketchy fitment improved later on during production as suggested by @davidxk ?
Would be interesting to knowā€¦

Hay Robert, yes your car needs the Primer. I can see that, do you have a little space in your garage? I donā€™t have space, so I use a garage
from a friend, too. Hope I can spray my new paint Opalescent Dark Green Metallic in his and mine garage, where my body(car) is.
This project is being so long that you donā€™t believe it. This year was about 37 years ago.
Still need 2 years, o dear, then I am nearly 80 years old.
Frank.

1 Like

Tricky shooting metallics piecemeal, let alone in two different locations on different days, yet still achieve a consistent lay of the reflective particles. You are likely to have variability in the appearance of the finish from panel to panel - like the doors appearing to be slightly lighter or darker than the wings, for example. Gun angle and spray pattern inconsistencies. You will be better advised to shoot the exterior of the car with everything in place, doors, bootlid and bonnet, all at the same time.

3 Likes

Exactly what Nick says. You can get a myriad of colours from the one pot of paint, just by varying your spray technique. In fact, even with the body assembled, there is every chance that, say, the front wing will be a different colour to the rear quarter panel, but because the painting of the car is progressing from one panel to the next, and there is an overlap, the change is colour is not noticeable.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

They must be a bit thicker than the brass fold over clips that secure the chrome fender bead. Thicker due to paint buildup. It will be very frustrating if you canā€™t push those clips through after painting.

1 Like

Yes, NIck, you are right, itā€™s difficult to spray a metallic paint for the particles had to be in the same direction and if you do the doors and bonnet outside the body then it can appears to be darker or lighter.
Happy with my garage, but itā€™s to small to paint very well. Did two cars in the past.
My Jaguar XJ6, I painted three times, because I didnā€™t like the first paint and the second paint was not bright enough, so I painted just a layer of clear coat over it and drove Taxi with her in Amsterdam for a while.
Frank.

And made a copy of Edward H,

Hello Frank.

My plan is to have the car transported to a local body shop and have them shoot the primmer. Transport the car back to me for the rubbing down. I plan to do this 3 times before paint.

By trade I am an freelance automotive clay modeler, working with designers to produce full size automotive clay models, that can be quickly changed and altered. I have a very decerning eye when it comes to high lights (the way light fills on a car body) this is why I want to control the rubbing down. In a body shop they will use an orbital sander, where I will use very long rubbing blocks of different stiffness to achieve what I hope will be something very special. Also l will not be able to turn up at work in it unless it is spot on, as I will be judged by it.

Did I mention I am taking 6 months off to get on top of car and house projects.

I am 58 the E type was my daily driver in my 30s and the car has been off the road for the last 15 year. I had an accident in it and the whole thing was starting to look very ropey. I bought the car in the US but live in Spain.
The Jag had been cleaned up several times in the past prior to my ownership and the body work was biff-boff-baff out the door so I hope my work will be appreciated some year down the road I am long gone

Best Regards

Robert H

2 Likes

Hi - This is Chuck at Monocoque Metalworks. I donā€™t post here very often, but a customer asked me to weigh in on thisā€¦ To my knowledge, they all had spacer washers, even the early cars. The people above who have pointed out the difficulty in getting the brass clips in without them are right - there is NO WAY you are getting those in without the spacer washers.

Another thing to remember is that there are VERY FEW really early bonnets out there that havenā€™t been apart or repaired. These bonnets rusted out along the spot-welded seams almost instantly, and have wings replaced very quickly.

Iā€™ve seen lots of bonnets come in without the spacer washers - but none where they also have the chrome on them. And I have never seen an early bonnet without them that I though was factory.

Hope this helps! - Chuck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for weighing in, Chuck! I was pretty sure that my 1963 FHC was unmolested, and it had the spacer washers in it.

Thank you Chuck for your invaluable expertise.
So my early bonnet has most likely been already ā€¦revisited.
Spacers we need!

In the light of Chuckā€™s hands-on experience of early bonnets I have done what I alluded to in my earlier post - namely tried to narrow down when the part number (C.10193) for the spacer washers was created, in case it gave a clue as to the introduction date. I have come to the conclusion that it predates all E-Types by several years. Given that the 3.8L Parts List does not reference the use of these washers I can only assume that this was an error, which was corrected when the 4.2L S1 Parts List was put together. That spacer washer was used in multiple models including the Mk I, which ceased production in 1959, so no doubt it was selected as a readily available part for the E-Type application. The documentation just took a while to catch upā€¦

1 Like

I purchased my '62 in 1976 when I lived in the UK. Even then, the wings were already rotted out along the bend at the joint with the center section. First thing I did was to buy two new wings from the Jaguar dealer.

Confirming whatā€™s reported above, the spacer washers are around .08" thick while the brass bead retainers measure around .05".

1 Like

Hi
I live in Europe and when buying panels I try to purchase them from Chuck. When I donā€™t, I usually regret it .
Chuck isnā€™t that part of a lathe?

If I lived in the US I would have sent my shell bonnet doors ectā€¦ straight to him to build up.

Actually with his videos & panels I was able to bring my bonnet back abyss

Oh and his sills, sorry rockers in your language were spot on.

Regards

Robert H.