[E-Type] covered headlight conversion

If you look at the s2 cars pictured above, the ones with the indicators below the bumper line, what has been done is the chunky s1 metal surround is overlapping the hole in the s2 bonnet left by taking out the external scoop and the chrome surround is affixed to a set of Chuck’s metal flanges. These flanges, instead of being welded into the bonnet, have somehow been simply bonded in with Sikaflex or somesuch mastic which then has the heavy s1 glass hanging in place. The surrounds are so wide that they cover over where the join is. It isn’t obvious to me how the headlight itself is mounted behind the glass. From what looks like an uneven scoop fit and the fact that it is so far back, it would appear to me that the headlight would appear to be mounted onto backplates, which you’ll have to factor into the cost of conversion.

My approach is slightly different, in that a much slimmer rim attaches to the outside edge of the s2 or s3 bonnet opening with no additional bonded or welded flanges. The result is that the wide bonnet opening for the headlight is preserved and the headlight can sit quite a lot further forward, giving substantially better road illumination than the that available with the more constrained s1 headlight look.

It’s a matter of personal taste whether you prefer the large s1 surrounds or the slimmer version.

kind regards
Marek

2 Likes

Actually I was referring to Marek’s kit being available only for S2 and S3 cars. Chuck’s conversion flanges are for all series.

Actually I’d like to see photos of the conversion process using rivets. So would several others in here I suspect.

Gorgeous just the way it is.

I’ve made my preference known, of course. There’s also a rationale that if you’re going to modify the bonnet to something that wasn’t offered for your model year and/or series then why not go with a cleaner look. And if it’s reversible the next owner, or you later on, can return the car back to original specification.

Logic says the rivetted version will not look any different from the bonded version. The huge s1 surrounds cover it whether you rivet it or bond it, much the same as you can’t see the rivets on your car, because the slimmer surrounds you have similarly cover the rivets in that case also.

kind regards
Marek

Tom, I don’t have an answer to you question about moving the headlights further back, but I will forward this Q to Chuck.
BTW, my car is considered to be a Series 1.25

-Steve

Here’s our '66 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT:

I have the original interior awaiting installation (it currently has a '69 interior). The car was originally dark grey, which I want to put it back to.

1 Like

Could not help but notice the stainless “chicken wire” grill opening insert. Beautiful ! Dr.Beachum in NZ had something similar on his Beachum Series 3 E-types. Yours just as nice, perhaps nicer. Well done !

A beauty !

Thank you very much !

Marco

Sweet.

I put a new dash in a '66 Sprint a couple of years ago. It looked pretty damned good when I was done, but the mfr had put the mounting points in the wrong places so it was a bit of a bear to get it fitted. The quality of aftermarket Alfa parts varies widely - most of the mechanical bits are reasonably good, but lots of the trim is NLA, and what is available has nothing to do with the originals.

Thing is, the only thing separating my car from a series 1 is the headlights. I prefer the original larger surrounds and all their glorious chunkiness. While in it’s heart will always be series 1.25, it will look just like a series 1, which will not be permanent should I ever change my mind.

It’s true, and some interior bits like the cardboard dash face are simply not available. I am having most of my parts shipped from a UK supplier (I’m in the US). So far, everything is quite nice.

Series 1¼, Series 1½, meh.

When I first contacted Jaguar Canada back in the early 80s seeking information on my “Series 1.5” their response was “There is no Series 1.5 E-type. Do you mean open headlight variant Series 1?”

I too would like to understand if this really is bolt-on , glue-on for a 1.5 and can be easily reversed. Like Nick I do not really mind not having covers on my car but might consider it if an easier conversion.

If you have not seen it you Alfa GTV guys might enjoy this link with lots of action. It was just hilarious watching Stippler drive it like a maniac from the Chicane grandstand. Less than a month until Goodwood. I can’t wait

David
68 E-type FHC

THAT was amazing!
Thanks for posting.

Stippler drove has he were possessed…

Good stuff ! Thanks for sharing.

Marco

these are Walsin headlight kits, would not switch back to open headlights

Looks great. Very clean. I notice you’ve left off the bonnet beads.

I’ve looked into the Walsin kits. They’re not reversible for the open headlight S1s because they require the headlight opening to be increased. The headlight diaphragm used in the Waslin kit also seems not quite as well designed as Merek’s. Still, a beautiful presentation.

Although superficially the fronts get mistaken for each other, our approaches are very different when it comes to the actual headlight mounting at the back panel.

This is the Wahl kit
IMG_7243[1]
The headlight is mounted onto a flat plate which reuses the original headlamp bowl . This accounts for why the headlight sits so far back - it’d leave a huge hole in the back if you were to seat it further forward. Obviously you have to cut a hole in your own backplates so headlamp can protrude out of the back.

This is my kit
headlight baffle
It’s a brand new backplate with a custom mount inside the bonnet to let you sit the headlight left/right/up/down/back/forward as you like.wiring
The parts are available separately

The grille:- thank you John. The only reason I did this was because I wanted to recycle the old bonnet bead after doing the headlight conversion. Stainless steel is a real pig to work with which is why I haven’t made any duplicates.

The bumpers are upside down, reground and rewelded s1 bumpers. The indicators are MX-5 (Miata) which are very nearly the exact same contour as the Jaguar bonnet.

Still, the most important question is why does everybody keep spelling my name wrongly?

kind regards
MArek

I missed the first two runs over the years, the first due to mid-restoration, the second was a blown alternator the night before the run. Both cars are ready but Doug just cracked some bones in his foot so he may be riding as a passenger.

Noted. Marek. …