E-type Modelnames

Hello I need some help for official modelnames
With the XK’s it is clear it is XK140 OTS, FHC or DHC. With E-type it is different
You see often serie 1, 2 and 3 but In 1964 Jaguar did not know that there would be a serie 2 and even 3 in the future so what was the factory model name.
Is it??
E-type 3.8 and E-type 4.2 with addition OTS or roadster or convertible and FHC or Coupe
E-type serie 1 3.8 and E-type serie2 4.2 and then further FHC or Coupe and OTS or roadster or convertible or coupe
I think it should be
E-type 3.8 OTS and FHC and also E-type 4.2 OTS and FHC or E-type 3.8 roadster and E-type 3.4 coupe? and how for the serie 3
also E-Type V12 OTS or convertible or roadster or cabrio and E-type V12 2+2
Thanks

All explained here Jaguar E-Type - Wikipedia

1 Like

@MGCJAG this link is more confusing. I donot think an E-type 3.8 was called as factoryname in 1964 Serie 1 and in the pics it is called roadster I think 1964 was OTS and FHC what also is mentioned in the text

Robert,

Firstly - welcome to Jag-Lovers. If you stick around you will find that the members here are a friendly bunch who freely share their extensive knowledge of all things Jaguar, and on this particular category of the forum, the E-Type Jaguar.

With regards to your question, it isn’t clear to me exactly what you are asking. If you want to understand the sequence of cars that Jaguar built under the E-Type banner, the Wikipedia article that Steve (@MGCJAG) referenced is a good start. It isn’t perfect, but I don’t think that any of us here are likely to spend the time to nitpick it to death. If, instead, you want to do the nitpicking yourself, you are welcome to. Suffice to say, as you have already given one example yourself, the “name” by which any particular E-Type is referenced has changed retrospectively over the years. In 1961 an OTS E-Type would have been called an “E-Type Jaguar OTS” - not a “Series 1 3.8 Jaguar XK-E Roadster” or any other variation that it might be called today. When Jaguar made significant changes (such as changing the engine capacity to 4.2L), not only did the new model require a new name to distinguish if from the previous one, but the pre-existing model had to change it’s name retrospectively to distinguish it from the later model. Now, before I get drawn into duplicating much of what has already been written in articles such as the Wikipedia one, I’ll shut up. If you have more specific questions, please ask - someone here will know the answer.

Welcome again.
-David

3 Likes

Thanks Davidxk
Please let me clarify why I need this. I am not new with classic Jaguars, I own my MK2 3.4 now for 44 years and my XK140DHC for 19 years. I am a board member of the Dutch Classic Jaguar Club Z-Limburg.
We as club are asked by the FEHAC to help to revise the register for classic Jaguars of the Governmental car registration office called RDW. In this register many different names appear for the same model of classic Jaguars. It is logic that this has happened in the 60 and 70-ties as there were no computers and everything was done in writing. Also the import of many classic Jaguars from the USA did not help because almost everything was written in the US title and then copied in the Dutch title.
Even titles issued in the Netherlands in the sixties for E-Type so during production show different names as, E-type G.T. , E-type FHC, E-type Coupe , E-type OTS, E -type roadster, where you would expect the exact factory modelnames. The intention of the register revision is to come to one name for each model.
As said with the XK models it is easy we stick with OTS, FHC and DHC so XK140 DHC however when you look at the XK parts catalogue published 1955 it was written as XK.140 with a period. So it should be XK.140 DHC
The aim of this all is, that all classic cars should receive a mark in their registration as cultural heritage. Which hopefully will help us as classic cars owners to survive Brussels environmental laws.
regards Robert

Hi Robert…in my opinion you should go direct to https://www.jaguarheritage.com/ also look at http://www.xkedata.com/ many have posted their Heritage certificates. …Steve PS…you can easily google and look at Various E type Heritage certificates …here is just one…

Thank you Robert for the explanation. I can see that this is going to be a challenge. You won’t find consistency in the naming even from Jaguar themselves so, if you want a unique name for each model, you will just have to create a standard and then map all the non-standard names to their standard equivalent. Steve’s suggestion to use the Jaguar Heritage Trust certificate format as the basis for the standard seems like a good idea. Something like:

Model Series Capacity Sub-Model
E-Type Series 1 3.8L OTS
Series 2 4.2L FHC
Series 3 5.3L 2+2 Coupe

Pick one option from each column (not all combinations are valid, of course).

Good luck in your venture.

-David

Interesting project.

A less interesting approach, but certainly an easier one, would be to simply title and register all of the various E-types as “E-type” and leave it at that. Similarly XK120, XK140, XK150. And so forth.

I’m surely jaded by typical American DMVs (equivalent to your RDW) where there is zero interest (or need?) for exact model identification. Thus I’m a bit surprised that your RDW would entertain such things. In most cases (varying state by state) the car would be identified as “Jaguar” and then something like “sedan”, “coupe”, or “Convertible” or even abbreviated as “Sdn”, “Cpe”, “Conv”. That’s about as far as it goes. I don’t think you’d ever see a registration with something like “E-Type OTS 4.2” or “XK140SE DHC”.

And this requires very specific model identification?As opposed to merely “E-type”?

Cheers
DD

Thanks for your input. This is a real challenge for sure and even worse with Jaguar XJ and XJS.
In the register you find almost everthing like E-Type three point eight, XK140MC and XK140 SE DHC M, and we see for the MARK 2 3.4 L (this is right), MARK2 3.4L MK2 3.4L, MK11, MKII, MKII BW, MK2 Automatic and combinations.
My heritage certificate shows Jaguar XK 140 SE Drophead coupé, so it makes it not easier, because in the XK parts catalogue issued 1955 it is XK.140 DROP HEAD COUPE and my registration state XK 140 DHC.
And the RDW wants to have it very exact with space, comma and period.
Because the factorynames also differ we have to decide to the most common used names and I think we could reach consensus about
Jaguar E-TYPE 3.8 L OTS, or FHC
Jaguar E-TYPE 4.2 L OTS, or FHC, or 2+2
Jaguar E-TYPE V12 OTS, or 2+2
With these model names everybody knows what is meant

How will you distinguish between S1 and S2 4.2 vehicles…they are very different. …Steve

2 Likes

The difference could be the first date of registration?

First date of registration will be different to build date…so its possible to have a S1 registered after a S2…this would cause you a problem…Steve

Original the E-TYPE 3.8L and 4.2 L were registered as 3.8 L and 4.2 L
Retropective SERIE 1 and SERIE 2 were added. That means that a lot of SERIE 1 E-type were registered without SERIE 1 even SERIE 2 without SERIE 2. The right type will turn out from the car’s heritage certificate. This is also with the options and modifications with the XK’s Minor modelchanges did not change the modelname.Significant changes did, like FHC and 2+2. Radical changes caused modelname change.

In Germany you can get a list (from the Keaftfahrtbundesamt I believe) of all the cars that are taxed (Zulassungszahlen) and there are several different names for our Jags. Pick one that is used frequently? Call them about the name they want? What about the MOT equivalent?

If it’s to help against the “environmental zone” bullshit I’m willing to do whatever I can.

Please, enlighten us: what is this, “environmental zone?”

Imagine a normal city, but you can’t drive inside without a special sticker inside your window, and that sticker depends on your emissions class.

In france, I can drive into some major cities but not others. I can’t drive into Strasbourg with the XJ, but I can drive into Paris because there is a special exclusion for classics. In London I cannot enter the ULEZ but I can enter the LEZ. Maybe I can enter the ULEZ on every third sunday of October, but only when it rains. It’s complicated and they love to hand out fines. Maybe I have to pay, maybe not, and the improvement is not worth the hassle, really. In some places you need to apply for permission, in others it just scans your plate and sends the extra tax bill. Wonder how people used to survive.

It’s difficult for people with classic cars to live with that, and sometimes impossible. In Germany I’m lucky because I can enter all the zones with the German historic registration.

The aim is to come to an European approach (Brussel). The Federation of Automobile and Motorcycleclubs FEHAC reached a 2-years MOT exemption for cars older than 50 years in Holland which is a very good thing and now they started this project which is huge and not easy because all brands need to be done and they need the help and input from the clubs. We as a small club with 60 members are a member of the FEHAC but the major Jaguar Daimler club in Holland with 2000 members is not a member of the FEHAC although they also benefit from this and previous work.

Why do they need the exact model name, is it not enough that the car is older than say thirty years?

An all-European solution that benefits us would be great, or do you mean approaching the European government to future proof the use of classic cars? Not sure what exactly.

Having clear model names would be good but how deep do you want/have to go. E Type? E Type 4.2? Blue E Type S1.25 OTS manual with 3.54 differential,……

@davidsxj6 That is what they want. Of each car which is registered different features are already known in the register, enginesize, HP, wheelbase, weight, often bodystyle etc. They requested to give for the Make Jaguar the model and bodystyle not more. We have a list with each registered classic Jaguar and for each car we should add the right modelname and bodystyle. That is not possible for each car because there are cars registered as E-TYPE 4,2 and XJS or XJ6 or XJ HE or XK140M or XK120 as a small example. We can only change the modelname when we have sufficient info from the registration. These examples show we cannot

@MGCJAG good idee
Thanks for your input

For the Jaguar MK 2, I thought to take my own registration because it was issued in Holland during production on 6-1-1966 and I thought the modelname must be right as MARK 2 3.4 L
In the Heritage certificate it is Mark II 3.4 L
Because it is an international approach I think the best way is to stay with the Heritage trust modelnames.
E-type Series 1 3.8 L, OTS, FHC
E-type Series 1 4.2 L, OTS, FHC, 2+2
E-type Series 2 4.2 L, OTS, FHC, 2+2
E-type Series 3 V12, OTS, 2+2

and Mark II 3.4 L

1 Like