E-Type on the Tail of the Dragon

Hi @inlinesix, long time no see! I remember you from the JCNA NW shows back in the 80s and 90s. Cheers, mate! Tom Taylor

Oh yeah…!

Fabulous action pictures Pascal.
Your S3 looks beautiful and belies its age.

I also like the grill treatment and the overall look is exactly what I am trying to achieve.
I covered the horizontal slats in matt black vinyl but retained the vertical, central, chrome finisher that has the growler logo.
I have also ditched the perimeter chrome finishers and, yet to fit, is a kit of Marek’s faired headlight modification.
I notice that you have fitted bullet type wing mirrors at the rear edge of the wings.
Again, something I am looking at … if you recommend them!
Are they useful in that position and what spec glass do you have, flat? convex?

My E had the wing mounted mirrors, as other cars of mine: I like them better in that location, because one does not have to turn one’s head as far to see them.

One disadvantage is, the farther away from your eye makes the field of view smaller.

Tweety had the 5" Tex flat mirrors, rather than the smaller Talbot-style mirrors.

Personal preference, but I preferred the practicality of them.

That Alfa is THE style benchmark of that era. We had Merkurs, but wished for your car. Other than the rust it was the thinking that those who sold the parts for them were the problem - not the parts themselves or the quality of the parts. This thinking was perhaps incorrect, but that and a rumor of head gasket issues kept us off the hunt. Still love the look. If we had 10 cars that Alfa would easily make the cut.

Great driving car, and the rear-mounted, multi-plate clutch is actually fairly easy to replace.

August 8th of this year with my good friend graciously following in his 911 Targa.

2 Likes

My buddy and I ran it in August, 2016. We stayed overnight in Knoxville and then hit it early on Saturday morning. We had no slowpokes going in our direction; it seems that most people run it from SE to NW which is the opposite of what we did. I thought that it was indicative of the accidents they have on it when we saw the Medivac helipad at the NW entrance to the Dragon.

1 Like

The bullet mirrors look great but not very practical. Mines have flat mirrors, maybe a convex mirror would work better

To help I installed a larger rear view mirror. It also has a built in HD dash cam that records pretty good footage. It just clips over the existing mirror. About $100 on Amazon. I saved the Dragon footage. Pretty neat

1 Like

Did the Dragon last year on my Triumph Rocket 3 with a group of friends. Great fun and as mentioned a little nerve wrecking with all the stupid self proclaimed racers trying to set a new best.
I imagine a mid October week day may be less busy and you can enjoy the driving challenges while your passenger enjoy the view :grin: or bite their nails :flushed:.
Great looking car, Pascal.

Today we ran a couple of roads which are even better than the Dragon… GA 180 heading SE between Vogel State Park and Suches, then onto GA 60 going NW to Morganton. Combination of tight corners but some faster sweepers and straights. And much less traffic than the Dragon. No photographers though. But so much fun!!!