E-Type prices falling? So many being 'found'. Interesting

That’s called original dirt and that just adds to the price

1 Like

A neglected bottle of wine doesn’t get better either; if not stored in proper humidity and temperature all you get is an old bottle of useless vinegar. And it needs to be wine from the right grapes too as many varietals don’t age well either. Someone can lay down a nice case of Chardonnay in perfect conditions for 20 years and going to get a rude surprise when they open it.

Like cars, just because it is old doesn’t mean a wine is good, and like cars proper storage is everything for creating a nice vintage experience.

2 Likes

So the storey behind my 61 ots …… been off the road since 1982 …… purchased by PO 1987 ……drove it home 35 miles no problems …… stripped it down to have the body rust etc to be restored …… all done ( by the one of the best e type body men in Aust) into red primer……… sat in his garage until 2019 when I discovered it and bought it from him ( 80) ….boy it was no bargain…… but it is all there and all parts etc bagged up and labeled …… only missing parts…. Air cleaner, plenum box and vacuum reserve tank…… i have spoken to and verified it’s provenance with the previous owner +1 and can trace it back to 1974 …… It was a Singapore car and has a genuine 50000 miles on the clock……. Downside…. Not a OBL…… will start in 18 months hopefully

1 Like

As a hobbyist and barn find sucker I like seeing them convered in an inch of dust. It’s like digging up buried treasure.

They’re have been more than a few auto auctions where sellers have gone to great lengths to not disturb the dust, lest it detract from the mystery!

Sheesh. Get technical on me why don’t you! In my meager experience, no whites age well more than a few years. And with reds, you’re lucky (or you’ve spent a lot) if your Pinot Noir holds up more than ten years. A good Cabernet can go for 20 years. Each of these in proper storage.

A Jaguar E-Type sitting in any climate with nothing done to it, including a hermetically sealed room for 50 years, will be worth about 10 grand in my booklet, with another $200,000 thrown in to get it the way I’d want it.

A good aged Cabernet from my garage/basement/wine cellar? I can drink that tonight with my filet…

2 Likes

Know what Porsches and Pinot Noirs have in common?

Doesn’t matter what age they are, you’re probably going to pay too much.

1 Like

Well, now @REBUILD61OTS, this is a story worthy of its own thread!

1 Like

Like wine, which might get better with age. The car, not so much. IMHO, of course.

For men of our age, there’s a new wine: Pinot Moire.

:laughing:

1 Like

And am doing so. With king crab and a decent bearnaise. Seriously, on the barbie right now, sauce, crab and crispy baker standing by. Pic to follow…

1 Like

Yep it will when I get to start it.

Here we go. Okay, not a Cab, but an incredible red from 2013 gifted by a friend. Not a 50 year old E-Type stuck in a barn.

Cheers on Friday night, everyone!

2 Likes

66 roadster very nice car but not in original colours…… $us 225000 sold on bat….

Such is the modern man the the table setting includes a tablet !:rofl:

3 Likes

Well sir, which is it?

Personally, I am still seeing driver E-Types change hands for reasonable money - not on the usual auctions but in one-to-one sales.

2 Likes

And the tablet shows a photo of this thread for verification!

Point of order, you transposed two digits. It was $252k. :grimacing:

I find the term “barn find” to be interesting. I find it very unappealing to consider a car that someone could do no better than neglect it to a barn, not typically a good place to care for a car. It reminds me of a place to shove an old neglected Ford.
Tom

1 Like

So only 1999 to 2008 Jaguars can be stored in a barn? :grin:

1 Like

This throws up an interesting question : would it be a good investment to buy a new Jag sports and leave it in a dusty barn for 30 years , then sell with a 500 % mark-up ?