[E-Type] Retrofitting the S1 centre dash to the S1.5 - how to video

I’m just now remembering that I promised in the video to post something on how I lowered the centre console so the drop down panel works as it should. Better late than never.

So, I’m just about done. A few things to figure out but I’m at a point that everything major works.
A couple of things I did worth noting:

1. I set the gauges to the S1 sequence. I did this because the water temp and oil pressure are things that I want to monitor more regularly than fuel and battery, so having them close made more sense. And I prefer gages that give numbers rather than “Normal” so I used the S1 water temp gauge.

2. I followed Nicks lead on using the old ignition key location for the hazard switch. I found an old 1960’s Subaru Hazard pull switch that I thought looks appropriate.

3. I changed all the instrument gauge bezels to Chrome, which I think is a sharp look. Not happy with the vendor who provided them however. They don’t fit the way they should, but will live with them until I get a better set.

4. in a case of while-I’m-at-it-disease I swapped the drivers side dash for the S1 style. I prefer the slide levers to the pull Style of the S2. Besides it also gave me a bit more chrome. :crazy_face:

So not a particularly difficult job. But Nicks video made it possible! THANK YOU NICK.

Now I need to finish my interior install!

Any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

1 Like

I didnt think I would… but I LOVE the chrome bezels!!

Well done.

Thanks Paul! I’m normally not a “bling” kind of guy, but to me the chrome is a classic look, like I had in my XK140, XK150S and MK-lX

The black out works well on my 83 911SC, and I wouldn’t change that.

1 Like

I love the look of the chrome bezels too. Not “blingy” at all. To me, the word “elegant” comes to mind!!

RobY

1 Like

1 Like

Well I don’t recall anyone claiming the DB5 Aston Martin or a Ferrari 250 had too much bling, so I think I’m in good company.

As always, everyone should do what has them enjoy their car most.

1 Like

I think the chrome looks ok. I have cars with the chrome. I do not like when the chrome reflects the sun in my eyes.
Tom

Also making reasonable progress Robert but still some tidying up and ‘burnishing’ to do.
I’ve taken out the Cigar Lighter and re-located it on the front of the centre console which I re-made without its strange sticky out foam and it also has a bit more slope. A couple of USB sockets now reside behind the Bakelite Cigar Lighter.
I also re-arranged the switches adding two more. One to override the Radiator Fan and one to turn on the USB Sockets and then Bluetooth.
I bought an old but good Pioneer amp and some decent speakers off eBay (loads for sale for cherry-bobs because new cars now have good sound) and a new Bluetooth receiver / pre-amp, all for less than £100. My phone connects and plays my Amazon Play Lists or any one of a few thousand Radio Stations. The centre console front has a couple of magnets behind it to hold a simple phone case. I use the phones Sat Nav which also connect through Bluetooth so I now have as loud a voice issuing directions as needed – always was a problem in an open car.
The Interior and Map Light switches have been combined into a two position switch leaving another spare which, with the help of a relay, I’ve used for the Hazard Warning lights.
The vacant hole left by the re-located ignition switch now houses a momentary contact switch giving a single wipe facility (just visible in one of the pics) Again this uses an additional relay and took a bit head scratching but works extremely well.
I had a new Traffolyte switch label engraved in the same style as the original. The grief from my purist mates for the USB / BT inclusion will be considerable!

From my perspective the hybrid dash is very attractive. Some like the open cubby hole on the passenger side while I much prefer the glove box. The recessed heater and choke controls are also cleaner. Nice job.

Nice! Clever to put the magnets on the center console to hold your phone/ navigation. I also agree with Nick about having a door for the glove box.

I found three wires that didn’t seem to have a home when I started my project, and still don’t. If you get a chance take a look at my post and see if you recognize these orphans.

The only odd thing about the recessed controls is that if you don’t want your heat on all the time, the knobs need to be pulled OUT all the time, which looks sort of odd. In an open car having the heat on constantly might be ok, but in a FHC like mine it’s warm enough.