E-Type Series 3 FHC - Brakes leaking fluid

Curious which ‘source’ supplied the leaking servos ?

Thanks
Patrick
''66 fhc

Guys I really appreciate all the feedback and hope it helps others in this situation with safety critical parts for their ETypes.

I finally got the car back from the garage and out testing today - did 120 miles and no issues at all but a final twist from the garage has me baffled. I am not convinced the repair is final as this is the 4th servo they changed and now is the first time they actually road tested it.

They say the car, when renovated, was incorrectly piped for the bf into the servo. Their explanation was (Jag Repair manual schematic 70.00.01). They say the pipe from ‘Q’ point from rear brakes was incorrectly fitted to servo. This was also crossed with ‘N’ point from front brakes. so the front and rear were acting opposite? I find this very hard to believe as they are now billing for the extra works to correct the original fault!! So question is should they have checked the system for this cross over as its only two pipes? would this really affect the brakes so the servos leaked three times?? Its a saga and my dark hair is now salt n’ pepper!!

Thanks all
Kevin

hi John looks like issue found…and its baffling …see my latest response!

Kevin, I do not have your diagram, but my memory says early cars were piped one way, later cars the opposite. I do not believe that was related to your issue.

Dear Kevin,

That makes my blood boil. I hope you haven’t paid yet.

It makes no difference to either leak that you had, neither the internal one which overfilled the slave reservoir nor the external leak into the vacuum system, which way around the output to two brake circuits are piped. Jaguar had the s2 the other way around and changed it during the s2 run.

For what its worth, I have it piped the wrong way around, because when I removed my PDWA, it was easier to twist the pipework around to the servo that way so that’s what I did.

They have charged you money because they have made a loss on you, not because they have fixed something that was wrong by any design. The design works exactly the same either way around. Only the failure mode is different, the difference being that when there is near a total brake failure - one of the circuits can still get some braking via vacuum assist but the other won’t.

Show them a picture of the brake setup from a s2 manual and a s3 manual - they will be the same, but different. The only difference in hardware between the two is that is that the s2 drum on the servo is slightly smaller than the drum on the s3 servo.

It most certainly isn’t related to your issue - it’s related to their issue that they have lost money on the deal because they can’t recoup their labour charge.

kind regards
Marek

1 Like

HinMarek are you in uk?

Dear Kevin,
I am near Guildford

kind regards
Marek

hi Marek what’s your mobile as I would like to call you please.

Car back from the garage and road testing continuing - no leaks from servo or slave cylinder. They fitted a unit from another supplier and this seems to be working. Brakes are working and car stopping as before with no sticking brakes. The PDWA unit is piped in and short bf lines to that is understandable for ease of installation. They are trying to charge me for the incorrect connections but I cannot prove, or disprove, this caused the leaks and brake binding.
This might have to go to arbitration under the ‘Consumer Rights Act 2015’ which gives me the legal right to get the work done correctly, within a reasonable time and most important safely. This is a safety critical element which failed three times putting me in harms way thus questioning their professional liability for deeds and or omissions for neglect. They just did not test the car sufficiently to hand me back a safe vehicle to drive on three occasions, I have also the options of a small claims court, alternative dispute resolution (ADR) or starting a case with local Trading Standards on them releasing a car back in a dangerous condition three times. Initially though will try to resolve this with garage as I’m sure the negative press and potential reputational damages will far outweigh their claims. Thank you to everyone for their contributions and helpful advice on this and now I’m enjoying the car out on the roads again!

Personally, I’d rather figure out my own E-Type brakes than use a local garage as it’s highly unlikely the service tech would have known E-Type brake lines went through different routings.

You never noted who sourced your troublesome servos.

Patrick
'66 FHC

1 Like

Kevin, it seems to me it is easily documented that both plumbing is proper. The Haynes manual has it on page 178, so since both are shown and proper, that could not have been your problem.

brakes.pdf (645.3 KB)

I do not have the documentation to show the s/n break, but with all the documentation some posters have access to, I would think someone could provide that if needed. Personally, I think you should have it changed back to what is proper for your car. Jaguar changed it for a reason.

Tom is correct; the factory initially piped the lines one way then switched them later. My car was built in September 1965 and has the early configuration, with the switch coming shortly thereafter. The workshop manual documents both ways so that is a non-issue relating to your problems.

Thanks guys that’s my thoughts exactly using the original workshop manual - the PDWA is mounted really close to the servo and as Merek said the issue “may” only arise when there is more than one issue like no bf or ruptured hose. The new servo from a different supplier seems to have resolved the issue so my argument is the original supplier failed on three occasions with his part hence the drawn out saga for repairs and his pseudo claims for more money!!

FINAL UPDATE TO END THE SAGA.

Car is working fine now and all brakes behaving as they should - the issue was a series of faulty servos supplied from the OEM where the seals failed and now they have a robust testing procedure prior to selling them to us. Appreciate everyone’s input and happy motoring to all…
Cheers
Kevin

Kevin,
Did you still have to pay the extra money for the phone brake line repair?

Nothing else to pay but I have now sold the car on TLF 524M so you will see it in the Press soon!
I have now bought a 1966 Series 1 4.2 FHC 2+2 as a project car and slowly dismantling it into lots of boxes!! Going to replace all the interior and seats, new front and rear suspension, brakes, chrome, IRS, exhausts, manifolds, heaters, A/C, steering, ignition, wire wheels and tyres, basically the lot! I have a long winter ahead so many days of refurbishing, sourcing, researching, watching You Tube videos of how to do things…watch this space!!

I am up to 37 boxes, so far. Plus the loose parts.

I have yet to count mine plus the bits inside the house, under beds, in cupboards, drawers, at the rechromers, still unwrapped and more arriving from EBay, SNG Barrett’s and David Manners daily!!