[E-Type] Starter Removal

We my starter on my new OTS has gone. It makes a terrible grinding noise everytime I
try it. Sounds like the throw-out gear is trying to shave the flywheel. Never had
to do it before. Is there an easy way to do it without having to remove the intake
manifold and carbs?

Regards,
Mark Hicks

Yes Mark the starter can be removed alone. The hardest part is undoing
the 2 bolts holding it in. For the lower bolt you’ll need a long socket
(I think 9/16") and several extensions and a u-joint (between two
extensions and socket). I think I did the upper one with a wrench from
the top but can’t remember. Take the oil filter off first.

Good luck!

Dennis 69 OTS

Mark Hicks wrote:>

We my starter on my new OTS has gone. It makes a terrible grinding noise everytime I
try it. Sounds like the throw-out gear is trying to shave the flywheel. Never had
to do it before. Is there an easy way to do it without having to remove the intake
manifold and carbs?

Regards,
Mark Hicks

If you are removing your starter on an E-Type with a 4.2 engine be sure to remove the carpets from the passenger side of the transmission tunnel to expose the access hole that is covered with a plate held in by four screws. Once this is done access to the bottom bolt on the starter is very easy. I have attached pictures of the plate and carpet removed from my 1968 series 1.5. You can clearly see the bottom starter bolt.

So…is this plate / access opening done by Jaguar, or some innovative mechanic?

It was out there by the factory. I have a 1968 E-Type OTS, S1.5, and the panel is right there under the carpet.

I am surprized that this knowledge is not easily found on the internet as I have read about many people trying to figure out how to remove the starter without using this panel.

I have looked for a picture of this hole but cannot find it.

Remove the carpet on the passenger’s side of the transmission panel and you will be pleasantly surprized.

Good luck.

1 Like

Starter removal details in the Jaguar service manual tells you about the access panel…Steve

2 Likes

Unless it’s an early car…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Then, you either get to struggle mightily, or cut your own hole, as my Dad did on my '63, and as I did on customer cars, so not-equipped.

Seems like a worthwhile mod would be to retrofit studs and/or threaded inserts in the bellhousing next time the engine is out? Either way you could preclude the need to get to the backside of the fastener.

Some Jags actually had a little fixture like that: it’s just simply some three eights bolts with a semi-arciate rod welded between the heads. I’ve got one laying around somewhere, but I never got to installing it in the Jaguar.

I just replaced the started on the '64, yep no access hole…somehow I got both bolts off with various extensions and luck. I just removed the distributor and worked the starter out without taking off the manifold. JS