E-Type Steering Column Assembly

Hello fellow jag lovers. I am looking for a complete drawing, pictures or video that will show the total assembly for the upper steering column for my 1965 XKE S1 FHC. Steering column never assembled with horn supporting parts. Car was the 1965 ISCA Championship Winner and many parts were stripped from car as they were not needed for that application. Really need detailed info on how the entire horn rod, contacts, etc. are assembled into column. Car almost completely restored.

Spare Parts Catalogue
Plate 31
Also available in various “usuals” hard copy and web based catalogs.

Here’s an example from the Moss/XKs catalog (click to enlarge):

The parts details on the page also provide info on change points:

https://mossmotors.com/jaguar-e-type/suspension-steering/steering/steering-column-ser-i

PS - Welcome to the J-L Forum Bryan!

All those drawings are in the factory manual and the Haynes manual. Not hard to find.

Thank you sir. I am trying to find more detail on connecting horn contact to column. not sure how they mount around opening for contact sleeve. Would be great to see a finished column.//Thank very much for responding back

Thank you Klive for your response. I have seen the parts breakdown drawings of column and parts. Still not understanding how contacts (horn) attach to column and make contact with steering shaft. A assembled drawing would be great. I am probably missing a part. Contacted SNG for assistance as well. Thank you for your response…

Thank you Harvey: I have seen various exploded views of the assembly, but nothing that shows how horn contacts make contact on steering shaft and mounting. I probably missing some mounting parts. A assembled picture would be great. Any ideas? Thanks again for your response sir.

Here are a couple of photos I just took of the column from a 63 FHC. There are 2 flimsy metal wipers. One is insulated from ground. The other establishs ground. The one that is badly bent is the one for the ground. They wipe on separate parts of the steering shaft. The insulated wipe establishes a circuit using the steering shaft itself back up to the area of the horn push. When you depress the horn push, you complete the circuit back to the ground side of the steering shaft. The non grounded side of the shaft rides in non conducting bushings. You can buy repair kits from the usuals. It is the definition of fiddly!!!

BTW the bullet connector for your hot lead to the relay goes in the round circular appature seen in the photos. There should also be a lug for the ground, although I don’t see it in the photo right off.

Hi Harvey: Your pictures were very helpful. “Thank you” for sending them. I figured out the total installation of the horn operation within the column. What was causing the big problem was the slip ring. I was going to use the existing slip ring but after really looking close, the plastic inner liner with the contact pin and spring was broken off. Once I found this out, with the help of your pictures I was off and running. Other little obstacle was making good grounds on fastener location after powder coating column. FYI I am really pretty good with cars since I professional race a Nitro -Funny Car and more. Building my own engines and doing all mechanical work required as well. Thank you again sir!!!

I think most would agree that the design of horn slip rings was not Jaguar’s finest hour from a standpoint of mechanical design. I’m glad I could be of assistance.