E type thottle by cable set up

You going over-the-top, or under-from-bottom?

Wiggles your getting sexy on me aren’t you…

Joey… Imma married man…:innocent:

Neither. The driving end of the linkage mounts on the firewall in place of the factory “rocker” arm. The cables come off at the top of the firewall, parallel to the firewall. Once past the engine, they make a gentle 180 degree helical bend forward and down, coming in under the carbs, below the upper frame rails. One cable terminates between the front and center carbs, the other between the center and rear carbs.

Regards,
Ray L.

1 Like

Your killing me… let’s see it baby!!!
Gtjoey1314

Look forward to seeing the setup!

I like this discussion on “improvements” and “upgrades” to our E-Types.
Yes, the cables loop around the front of the engine on top of the picture frame. They are tied off to the top of the fan motor bracket with the black plastic, white knob ties used to to hold the wiring. And it does look a bit odd.
Great that Ray has come up with a shorter cable set up that doesn’t have all of the other stuff. IIRC, the Mangoletsi cost around $2k. It wasn’t simple to install either.
Granted, it may not have been set up correctly, but the main problem I had with the original contraption was that upon hard acceleration the engine rotated to the right enough to momentarily hang up the crude ball joint at the end of the rod. At least it seemed that way to me, and to one of my go to Jag friends who suggested a cable throttle.
Here is a photo of the Mangoletsi pedal layout. Another regret, at the bare tub stage of this restoration, I should have extended the sunken floor to the right as far as possible without interfering with the exhaust.

!

Me too…
gtjoey1314

FWIW, here’s a pic of part of the cable throttle setup I had on the car when it had Webers. It shows the simple mechanism used to utilize the standard rods from the pedal to the firewall, and then cable to the carbs. It made a huge difference to throttle feel and application for the Webers…have a couple more pics if interested…

image.png

Hi Wiggles,
I use my OTS in precisely timed classic car rallies that require constant, exact speeds over hundreds of miles. The winners hit many legs to the exact second after 3-4 hours of driving. I’ll never finish anywhere near the money, but the cable throttle sure makes some degree of precision and consistency easier for me.

Interested and Interesting!

My throttle didn’t return all that well, despite a pretty complete review of the system (ALL new parts, including the carbs)

. Rather than putting super stiff springs all over the place, I found where a stock (SNG) spring - which isn’t all that stiff, would do the most good
BTW, the copper tube is to make sure the hose never fouled the linkage - the tube isn’t kinked, it’s a photo artifact.

Ray,

Sign me up for one. Need a test bed?

I have the dual cable Mangoletsi set up, works great operating the three throttle bodies. The pedal feels more like a modern car, can’t say how it would feel on a carb set up, I’m assuming similar.

1 Like

MAN, that is a pretty piece of kit!

It was -20 in the garage a couple of weeks ago… for kicks I thought I would give it a shot…
Vroooommm no issues. First shot start up.

Well!! THAT has completely ruined the period correctness and feel of the car!

Hell, you might as well put vented disc rotors on it…:slight_smile:

1 Like

And then…

I was just under the car and realized the reaction plate mounting point would prevent any modification to this part of the floor.

Yours is a left hand drive

Where do the cables go