E-Type UK Forum

Thanks for dedicating all this time to getting the E-Type Forum back up and running, David!

It has been a little quiet without it, not least because I keep forgetting and then get the blank page when I try and access it :laughing:

I’m sure you’ll have it all back up to speed again soon

Nothing personal Simon, but I’m hoping that one result of the reboot will be that whenever I log on I will no longer see your profile page as the first thing that appears on my screen! No, I don’t know why it does that either, and I have mentioned it to David and Steve and possibly Angus, but that was some time ago and they are all busy guys so I just put up with the extra key-strokes to ‘get rid of you’ each time it happens :slight_smile:

However, while I have an inorganic chemist’s attention I may as well ask you a question if I may…

Decades ago I obtained a near-unique pair of brand new Amal carburettors never sold to the public, made from magnesium alloy (probably ‘Elektron’). They were probably from a tiny batch made for the BSA/Triumph competition department for Mike Hailwood’s Rocket 3. Anyway, although still in their original crepe paper and cardboard wrapping, the surface has darkened slightly and there is slight powdery efflorescence in some places. I was going to ask if you could think of a suitable kitchen chemistry wash I could use to dissolve the crud and possibly brighten up the finish, without turning these valuable items into grey sludge? Any suggestions?

Pete

But, will you still have a picture of me as your screensaver?

2 Likes

Hello David,

Many thanks for your efforts, they don’t go unnoticed. You are the glue of the UK Forum.

Send me an email when you have a moment.

Steve

I was using it as a dartboard Gary, but after six new laptop screens I now hang copies of it on a nail, next to the ‘parts washer’ as wee call it.

1 Like

Hi David and other EtypeUK forumers…! i am like a child without his best book or toy …: with the forum failure !!!
But thank’s to JL forum : now i know it will be solved , i am a EtypeUK forum addict… i’ll be soon happy with the forum live ?
Thank’s David for your huge contribution.

Anyone know whats happenend to the etypeUK forum, Great source of knowledge for anyone ( like me ) who is restoring an E Type.

Thanks
Mike
1968 S1.5 OTS.

Mike,

Read this thread…

-David

1 Like

Hi David
Thanks for the Info

Mike.

Peter,
Mag alloys, including Elektron, will oxidise dramatically if the surface is not correctly protected.
Magnesium does not develop a protective layer like aluminum alloys. It requires a special chromating treatment (a process using a very toxic chemical, chromic acid), which allows making a protective deposit on it.
Magnesium wheels or cast components for aerospace are protected this way, using the chromating treatment, then powder coating or paint.
Issue for mag carbs is that you probably cannot easily access hidden parts and that you should not allow making all but very thin deposits to keep them functional…
Here are a few links that describe the chromating process and a product kit for sale (alodine) :
https://ptiindustries.com/2014/12/dow-coatings-magnesium-components/
https://www.finishing.com/103/13.shtml
https://www.skygeek.com/henkel-598970-alodine-magnesium-treatment-kit.html
Hope it helps

Good man David, if it would help for us/you to fund this and take it in-house, as it were, many of us would happily cough-up ; would just need some sort of halo attachment to preen underneath.

Crespin - if it’s MH’s triple, what good is a pair of carbs to you - think you can hide a manky normal one in the middle ? In Italy, the chromic acid treatment was available in the early 90’s to complete magnesium brake assemblies (already £1.000 a pop) that were dipped in a bucket - kept in the pool-house - upon the customer’s request for a yellow finish, forgotten for an hour or so, and then urgently dunked in the retailer’s swimming-pool to stop the process. Ask me how I know. And how I know chromic acid ruins bearings, cams, brake linings etc …

My life is incomplete without the UK forum.
Looking forward to seeing it fixed.
Keep up the good work … Ole

Merci Serge.as you say, for a carb it is difficult to know every tiny drilling or inside part is covered and dimensional change, as with paint, would be verboten. Maybe I’ll just store them in a bucket of WD40. E10 probably too risky.

I bought the only two available Rory, for my Covenant Commando Norton twin (UK forum Avatar). It is just about 300lb dry without any use of unobtanium. With a pair of light wheels and tubless tyres and the magnesium carbs I’d probably be something like 290-295, which is dirt bike territory, or the weight of a normsl Commando sans engine & gearbox. As Tesco put it, “Every little helps”.

Ha ha, I just love the banter …

About the dartboard, that is!

Paul, S3 E-Type, OTS.

But it’s still over 600lbs once you get on:-)

1 Like

Altogether now:

“You always hurt the one you love
The one you shouldn’t hurt at all
You always pick the sweetest rose
And crush it till the petals fall…”

1 Like

Mid week update.

I now have access to the host web site but I still need to get through another password firewall to manipulate the control panel and access the Forum files. I am working on retrieving those log in credentials.

Once I am in it “should” be a simple job to fix the problem and at least I will be in full control.

Regards

Sleepless in Nottingham

David, I can only echo what others have stated. We really appreciate all of the hard work that you have done over the years on E Type UK forum and particularly the past two weeks to get it back up and running.

We appreciate a lot your job David, may be we can offer to you a feather pillow for your future deep sleep !