Early Engine Mount

1950 XK120, While researching how to install a front ground cable on early engine mounts, found this picture on the forum. I don’t have the highlighted bracket installed and can’t find it in my parts boxes. Questions:

• Are these brackets available to buy? Can’t find them
  • Can I not install them and just install the grounds strap from frame to engine? Will this affect the strength of the mount?

Thank you
Early%20Engine%20mount

Hey, I recognize that mount, its mine.
The earliest cars did not have that angled strut. You may not even have the holes for it in your front plate and block.
You’ll have to find another way to put on the ground strap. My guess would be to put it on the stud on the mount, but maybe somebody with an earlier car knows if it should be attached on the block.

Thanks @Rob_Reilly. My car is 670221, pretty early steel car. I will probably attach is to the block directly.

Mine is 670898. October of '50. It also didn’t come with those brackets but the holes are there on the front engine mount cross piece. But then, the engine has been out a number of times since the early 70s. I ended up making the two needed. Such simple pieces but they took longer than I thought to make due to the multiple angles.

Similar mounting on early cars SS to MK IV caused the steel plate to crack at the bend,
Mk Vs solved this by deleting the bend and having a separate Right angle piece made from angle.
Perhaps this overlapped MK V/ XK 120 somewhere and this was a temporary fix.