Early Tan interior for 64 FHC

I’m looking to replace the original colors for my 64 Opalescent sand FHC both interior and exterior. The normal interior kit suppliers say this color is no longer available. But for this Car, Id really like to reproduce the original colors and materials as close as possible. I have a source for the leather, and a very near match for the Vinyl. However, I’m hoping to find a source for the Wilton, Marquette and Hardura. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to source, or reproduce with near matches these interior kit materials? See photos

BAS used to have that hardura shade. It was in their “cinnamon” palette. Unfortunately they changed it a few years back and it now looks kind of yellowish. I need to get the underseat panels for my car, so I’ll be watching this thread. I can say that CJ asked Suffolk Turley for me 4 years ago and they didn’t have it. I think I wrote to OSJI but never heard back.

1 Like

Interesting. Is this the color of your OTS Interior?

This looks exactly like my original tan interior, 1967 S1. I love it! Unfortunately, all of the posts are correct about unavailability of the original hue. I tried on my restoration in 1986 with G. W. Bartlett (now OSJI), and they didn’t have it then, either. The current reproduction just isn’t quite correct to my eye.

I am restoring a 63 FHC which was made with opalescent golden sand exterior and light tan interior. It is a hard color to find but not impossible. I went with GB Classic Trim in Dunaeton, UK. Here is a photo of their sample card, with the usual caveat that it is a photo, transferred over the internet, and viewed on your monitor. What could go wrong? I suggest you contact them to get a sample card sent to you. FYI my interior kit was completed earlier this week so I don’t have it on hand yet. Their pricing was very reasonable and the principle, Graham Watkins, is great to work with.

No mine is Cinnamon which seems to borrow from other pallets. It has lighter seats and vinyl than yours but similar carpet and hardura.

Harvey, back in the 80s when I was searching I discovered that light tan was a shade darker than tan, but also not available at the time. Your palette for light tan looks darn good.

Tom, as you may know, Nunaeton is a “hotbed” of Jaguar upholstery action. I’m trusting they know what is what :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! this looks encouraging. I have sent off an email to GB. Hoping for the best. Thanks For your help!

1 Like

Walter, the restoration of my 63 FHC is being documented on my website. Give me a shout if you need to discuss anything. My email is under Contact. www.newhillgarage.com

2 Likes

Hi,

Someone gave you the wrong samples.
For Ser 1 E-types the hardura and moquette used for “Tan” and “Light Tan” were the same, BUT the leather for sure was lighter and brighter in tone for “Light Tan” Connolly VM.3104 than “Tan”, Connolly VM.3280. (I’ll look up my factory sample booklet and post some photos)

Cheers!

Hi,

That’s a fantastic, and at the time quite popular, but nowadays very rare colour combo.

The “Light Tan” is / was Connolly VM.3104.

FWIW the Maserati and Ferrari folks call that “Arancia” = Orange or Amber in English as it was used in numerous 1950´s and 1960´s classic Maseratis and Ferraris as well.

Connolly themselves called it “Ochre”:

Cheers!

Pekka, you are right, there is a lot of orange in the color. As a matter of fact, I had a small battle with my wife. She does not like orange in general and was pushing me towards a biscuit interior. I don’t usually go against her asthetic wishes but in this case I said I needed to stay with the authentic “born with” colors that came with car. I can’t wait to see the finished product.

1 Like

In 1991, for a different project, these are the samples I obtained from G. W. Bartlett Co., now OSJI. Tan and light tan weren’t available at the time, nor prior to that in 1986 when I restored my S1. The interior installer, a gentleman named Guy Recordon, is the one who gave me the input on tan vs. Light tan. Ah, but that was 30 years ago…

1 Like

Hi Tom

No problem, but none of those are even remotely close to “Tan” or “Light Tan”.

You have there Jaguar “Beige”, “Cinnamon” and “Biscuit”.

Beige being the lightest (as seen on #885005) in tone.

The problem often seems to be that as many folks who think that Opalescent Dark Green or Sherwood Green “must have been British Racing Green” many, many people, especially auctioneers and salesmen call those colours (Beige, Cinnamon and Biscuit) either “tan” or “light tan” which have nothing to do with the Jaguar colours of the same names.

Jaguar “Tan” is and was Connolly VM.3280, some folks in Europe call it “Tobacco” or “Cognac”.

Jaguar “Light Tan” is and was Connolly VM.3104 and Connolly called it “Ochre”.

Cheers!

Understood, but please note my frame of reference is from 30 years ago. I haven’t looked at Jaguar interiors since then. Bartlett’s was considered the top importer of Jaguar interiors at the time. Tan and light tan weren’t available. These samples are the closest they could come.

1 Like

Interesting, my car was retrimmed in the early 90s in Cinnamon. I never knew where it came from, but that Bartlett pallet is a dead match, including the antiqued vinyl grain with the darker shade in the creases.

1 Like

Funny, I save everything. The envelope the samples came in includes Bartlett’s catalog, price list and a 20% discount coupon from 1991!

1 Like

Oooh I wonder if that coupon is still good!

2 Likes

Last year, I started thinking about the upholstery for my 63 FHC project. I had this thought, since ruled out, about how easy it would be to install the headliner with the car upside down on the rotisserie. That did not work out but it motivated me to find Light Tan, as on the Heritage Certificate. OSJI does not offer this color. BAS USA sent me a sample card that looked pretty good but I have soured on doing business with them. I contacted Suffolk and Turley in Dunaedon, UK. They knew what I was talking about but said I had to go through Classic Jaguar. While I was Googling them, GBClassic trim popped up. The proprietor, Graham, knew exactly what I wanted and coached me that it was not what most people thought of as tan, rather that it had the orange hues. The dealmaker was that when I researched them on the UK forum, I found that David Jones (Heuer) had used them. A solid reference indeed! So I went with them. They have been great to work with, as long as you are comfortable using a UK supplier directly. It hasn’t been a problem for me. I added international calling to my cellphone for $10/month and that has been very helpful.And frankly, their prices, even with shipping, seem to be about 25% less than the 2 US firms mentioned above. My kit is shipping next week.

I do plan to send my seat shells, which are new reproductions from Monocouque Metalworks, to OSJI for upholstery.

2 Likes