East Coast Oil Leak Tour

So far, the Committee has had ten responses from members who are interested in a tour of the Mid-Atlantic region. June is the date that the Committee decided upon based on the responses and the two Jag related events that are scheduled and would work for a stop on the tour. The Committee has done its best to avoid interstates and major highways, sticking where possible to secondary and more scenic roads. From the starting point to the final stop, the Committee has also done its best to make the drive relaxing, covering about 200-250 miles per day with stops along the way and interesting attractions at each overnight. Here is the plan which could be changed in the next few weeks if the Committee receives objections or better suggestions:

June 8.
Meet at the IHOP in Waldorf, MD (just south of the DC beltway). Depart for Petersburg, VA and the Moss Motorfest car show and tour of the Moss facilities. Overnight in Petersburg.

June 9.
Morning visit to the Pamplin Historical Park (Civil War history exhibit a la Colonial Williamsburg) or Petersburg Civil War Battlefield. After lunch, depart for Greensboro, NC on mainly back roads. Local points of interest, TBD. Overnight in Greensboro.

June 10.
Depart of Asheville, NC via back roads and Blue Ridge Parkway. Tour the Biltmore Estate and overnight on the Estate or in lodging of your choice in Asheville.

June 11.
More time visiting the Estate (you could easily spend two full days there and not do it justice) then depart for Little Switzerland via the Blue Ridge Parkway for the concours event. Overnights Tuesday, the 11th and Wednesday, the 12th at Little Switzerland. The NC Jaguar club’s concours runs Tue.-Fri.

June 12.
Take in the car show or enjoy the mountain roads on your own.

June 13.
Tour officially ends but you can stay longer if you choose or find a route home that floats your boat.

Once the Committee has a good reading on serious participants, it will post a list of lodging accomodations at each of the stops and investigate meal possibilities. Of course, there is no fee involved in participating on the Tour, but each participant will be responsible for arranging their room reservations and be responsible for all of their own expenses. The Committee has spoken with the folks at Moss Motorfest and it is strongly recommended that participants register for the event at the Moss website soon. That will ensure that a space will be available for you on the show field. Otherwise, you may be stuck with parking with the general public riff raff.

3 Likes

We may do it… Little Switzerland is home to a great curvy road, 226A, nicknamed The Snake. We did it with the GTV6, it s a nice road.

Mark,

Count me in (vehicle permitting) for at least the first few days. Number 3 Son is limping towards his high school graduation, and if he falls across the finish line the ceremony will be June 12.

Bob

Man, does that bring back memories! Before things are finalized, Bob, the Committee has decided that it would be a good idea to get some of the DC locals (or anyone who is interested for that matter) together for a planning meeting. Probably do it within the next few weeks. We could finalize plans for exact routes, accomodations, attractions, etc. I’ll post when the meeting is to be scheduled. Glad that you’re on board and am looking forward to meeting you.

Please convey my respectful greetings to the Committee; I look forward to meeting you and them.

I’m in and adding …

:blush::yum::smiley: Things are coming together. I’ll post a meeting time/place for the Committee and interested citizens Probably in 2-3 weeks.

I just signed up for the Moss Motorfest.
See you in June … Ole

Me, too, Ole. Looking forward to it!
I strongly recommend that anyone else who is seriously planning on going, to sign up for Motorfest on the Moss Motors website ASAP. I’ve been told by their customer service rep. that it could be sold out by the time that the event rolls around.

I would like to meet with anyone who is planning on attending the tour and would like to help with finalizing the plans. Attending the planning meeting is certainly not necessary for those who want to go on the tour. We could meet at my house on Sunday, February 10th at 1:00. Send me a PM and I’ll respond with my address.

I have been in contact with the Carolina Jaguar club. It turns out that Jaguar Journal incorrectly listed their Little Switzerland concours event as running June 11-14 when it is actually JULY 11-14. Our options, which will be discussed at the Feb. 10th Committee meeting will be to hold to our original schedule, including a stop at Little Switzerland without the concours event or move the tour to coincide with the July 11-14 concours, but miss the Motorfest at Moss Motors. I would appreciate feedback and opinions from anyone who is planning on joining us but can’t make the Feb. 10th planning meeting.

July would be preferred.
I may be able to join you for the planning meeting.
Cheers … Ole

I dunno, July can be brutally hot around here, and I doubt the majority of the cars will have AC.
Tim
"67 OTS

Mark,
I’m interested but out of town until late Feb 10
Mike

1 Like

OK, just set aside the dates so that you can join us when the rubber meets the road!

That explains why the June dates fell in the middle of a week which made no sense whatsoever. No Concours takes place in the middle of the week…

Is summertime (June or July doesn’t make much difference) really the best time for this?

You would be surprised by the weather…Last year in the evening, we were glad they had a fire pit.

I went to the NC concours ~4 years ago and from Thursday to Sunday I could see no further than the hotel parking lot due to mist and rain. A thousand mile bike ride for a damp crotch, a $185 Parkway fine from beautiful Officer Elizabeth Jordan, and three Black Bear encounters (not necessarily in that order…)

Nice people. I’d go again but it will have to be just the convoy drive to Motorfest for this year. Possibly see you later today Mark.

The plans have been finalized for the tour. Below is the itinerary with hotel/restaurant suggestions. Participants are free to stay and eat where ever they want and to join and leave the group when ever they want. You will be responsible for your room reservations as well as registering for Motorfest, so I urge those who are planning on going to make the reservations ASAP.

June 8.
Meet at the IHOP in Waldorf, MD (just south of the DC beltway). Depart at 7 AM for Petersburg, VA and the Moss Motorfest car show and tour of the Moss facilities. Overnight in Petersburg. Holiday Inn Express, 5679 Boydton Plank Rd., Petersburg/Dinwiddie. Supper at Maria’s Old Town Restaurant

June 9.
Morning visit to the Pamplin Historical Park (Civil War history exhibit a la Colonial Williamsburg) or Petersburg Civil War Battlefield. After lunch, depart for Greensboro, NC on mainly back roads. Overnight in Greensboro. Courtyard by Marriott, 4400 W. Wendover Ave. Supper at Charbar 7
June 10.
Depart for Asheville, NC via back roads and Blue Ridge Parkway. Tour the Biltmore Estate and overnight on the Estate or in lodging of your choice in Asheville. Village Hotel on Biltmore Estate. Supper TBD.

June 11.
More time visiting the Estate (you could easily spend two full days there and not do it justice) then depart for Little Switzerland via the Blue Ridge Parkway. Overnights Tuesday, the 11th and Wednesday, the 12th at Little Switzerland. Switzerland Inn, 86 High Ridge Rd.

June 12.
Relax, enjoy the local roads, unwind. Pascal has suggested hwy. 226A (The Snake) as a good road. It looks fantastic. I’ve put a call in to NC Jaguar Club for suggestions for roads and local attractions. More to follow when I learn more.

June 13.
Tour officially ends but you can stay longer if you choose or find a route home that floats your boat.

Please PM me if you are planning to go with us. To help us organize the group we will be putting together a roster much like the West Coast Oil Leakers do.

3 Likes

Which concours event is that Mark ?