East Coast Oil Leak Tour

I must say, I’m mostly impressed, your cars were sorted well enough to put several thousand miles on them collectively! Windshield wipers not withstanding…

It was a great trip. A bit nervous about being so far from home in a 45 years old car. A car that I took to pieces and put back together again. Apart from a worrying noise from the rear end during slow sharp turns, the car ran like a sewing machine/turbine/clockwork (take your pick). Did 1230 miles and depending on whether we were in the mountains, the car would average 17.3 mpg and on country roads up to 20 mpg. It did develop a thirst for engine oil and I may have to look into replacing the valve seals this winter when I set the valve clearances anyway.

1 Like

Ah, success. My first You Tube upload ever.

Who knew 35 MPH could be so much fun. Bonus points if you can name the songs. :laughing:

Edit: Apologies for the video quality. I should have fiddled with the upload settings.

2 Likes

What a wonderful trip!! All together, how many people/cars participated?
LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

Just the three cars and 6 souls. Ole, Mark and myself and our spouses.

fun drive…
Question about the squeaks, is that the suspension bushings or is it from inside the car? I have a hankering to order the suspension bushings and have heard of the squeak issues related to poly so might stay with black standard.

I didn’t notice any. I have standard bushings. What you heard must have been the normal cacophony of noise a 50 year old car makes. Or, it could have been Gershwin. :grinning:

Wait it might have been the clutch and/or brake pedal?

“Rhapsody in Blue,” for the few minutes I watched.

I had a clip from a recent Targa tour which ended up being un-usable due to the Mic picking up the constant tinkling of the fire extinguisher operating mechanism.
Now just imagine driving that road and having it closed to general public and being able to go up to 75mph (130klm/ph) thats what targa is all about :slight_smile: you will have a lot more of those ‘J@£&*’ moments.
Opening bars of Beatles Come together, and then Yesterday.

Let’s not forget Peter Crispin’s attendance on the first day :grin:

Glad you guys had fun… wishes we could have joined but our schedule was crazy this month and I just have not put enough miles on the car since full restoration to go on a long trip. So far just 1000 miles and only 300 miles trips

We will heading back to No Ga / TN in October with her E-type. Can’t wait to drive it on the great roads we enjoyed with the GTV6 last year. Driving in SoFL sucks

1 Like

Not bad for a first tour. That helps make logistics easier for when more join up.

LLoyd

Physicist Niels Bohr

I was playing with the MP3 player while I was driving, skipping by song if I didn’t want to hear it. I thought the Rascals "It’s a Beautiful Morning was appropriate.

1 Like

YES!! Now that is the kind of roads to look for…

LLoyd

Physicist Niels Bohr

I understand that feeling completely, especially when I’m heading out across the barren areas of Nevada with no cell coverage for 100’s of miles. I suppose it’s like the experience of a small plane pilot as he heads over the mountains-well not quite but you get the idea :wink:
It’s funny how that magnify’s odd sounds…
Cheers,
LLynn

2 Likes

One more video, this one of the three of us on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

2 Likes

Tuesday on the BR Parkway was a welcome respite from the previous three days’ nearly constant rain! Thanks for posting, John.

One last picture of the Biltmore taken across from the reflection pond. It was actually designed to give a perfect reflection of the mansion on days with no wind. As you can see here, there were small ripples caused by the lightest breeze.

2 Likes

Beautiful !

Physicist Niels Bohr