eBay, BAT or trade for Series ll or Series lll

Greetings everyone,

After much thought, I have decided to parts ways with my 63 project. The question is, should I list it on eBay, BAT or attempt to trade it for a Series II or Series lll “driver”? I have restored several British Sports Cars, but just do not have it in me to complete this project. My goal is to sell this and purchase or trade for a Series ll or Series lll (non 2+2) driver quality E-Type. So if there are any Series ll or lll owners out there who always wanted a Series l, here is your opportunity. Otherwise, you will soon see it listed on eBay or BAT. I purchased this car completely disassembled three years ago. It was an abandoned restoration that started in 1986 by the previous owner. A deer struck the passenger side door area on Christmas night 1985 and he decided to take that opportunity to repair the car and change the color from the original silver blue to red. In the paper work that came with the car is a receipt from the Military Police stating the driver was authorized to retain the deer that was killed by his car!! The project went south after the shop he contracted to do the work went out of business half way through the repairs. The partially repaired car was shipped to another shop where it sat for years until the owner brought it back to his garage where it sat untouched until I purchased it three years ago. It is currently in primer from late eighties.

My goal was to make this a nice quality driver by dropping in an 86 XJ Series lll 4.2 (58K mi) mated to a Tremec T5 gearbox (both currently in the car but not running). I do have the original matching numbers engine/head, starter and generator but the gearbox that came with the car was non-matching and has since been sold. I have LOOSELY fitted most of the parts back on the car to better illustrate what the next owner will be starting with. Much of what you do not see is probably still in storage boxes but I can tell you that it is missing one set of seat rails, chrome trim on bottom of windshield, water pump pulley, heater motor, exhaust back from manifold. This car will need a full restoration as the drivers side rocker panel and floor pan will need to be replaced. The chrome bumpers and other trim were replated back in the late eighties and are in very good condition with no pitting. I have a clear North Carolina title and Jaguar Heritage Trust Certificate. The original commission plate was missing when I acquired the car.

I really would like your thoughts regarding eBay or BAT as a venue for which to sell. I am also open to possible trades for a Series ll or lll. I look forward to your input. Feel free to PM me for any additional details or link to more detailed photos.

…just saw Frank’s 63 Coupe post. Great timing, haha!!!

Regards,
Kevin

I have no personal experience with selling a car on either but do look at the ads. FWIW BAT seems way more professional and from brief discussions with sellers it seems they ask the questions to qualify your listing before they will even accept it. Also there are always scams on ebay, possibly on BAT but haven’t seen or heard of one which makes them more credible to me…
pauls

I would think a trade for a S2 or S3 driver would be very much a long shot. Much more practical is to sell it on one of the venues you mention and then go shopping with money in your pocket.

If you are prepared to document thoroughly (and a project car will require even more documentation than a restored car) then (IMO) BaT is an ideal venue. The discussion there should be able to point up the potential and challenges the new owner will face. BaT rewards full disclosure so your willingness to tell the whole story should serve you well.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to make one to match the documented numbers (Heritage and NC title) fully disclosing that is what you have done rather than just sell it with no data plate at all.

Definitely BAT, without hesitation, so long as you’re willing to invest time time to fully document it, and babysit the auction answering every reasonable inquiry in a timely fashion. If you list it on Ebay you’ll be dealing with tire kickers and lowball offers constantly. Ebay was the circa 2001 best place to sell. It no longer is.

1 Like

Second that…will NEVER sell a car there, again.

Thanks for the input, I was leaning heavily toward BAT. As for the commission plate, I did purchase a blank one with the intent of having the numbers engraved as part of the restoration. I think I’ll leave it blank so not to create any confusion on an auction site.
Below is link to photos which include the Jag Heritage Certificate. I will provide some additional detailed photos including underside when I list it.

I thought this was interesting. The receipt from the Marine Military Police authorizing the previous owner the retaining rights to the dead deer that start this project back in 1986.

I once hit a squirrel, didn’t go back for it… didn’t want to deal with the paperwork.

3 Likes

I hit a deer last month and thought it was odd that almost the first thing the agent asked was whether the deer lived. I said I thought so but it was pretty surprised and I didn’t think it was old enough to read my plate number so likely wouldn’t sue.

1 Like

Sounds like you might have a book worthy tale to tell …

Its not so dramatic: it’s just that BaT is a far superior platform for selling a collector car, plus its WAY less expensive.

Uh, BUY there again…

There is that…:persevere:

Would you say “superior” for the seller or buyer? Funny, because I’m looking to sell and buy, and I am considering BaT for either transaction.

I would say both. Buyers know that the sellers are the real deal due to the effort that goes into actually placing a listing and responding to comments. BaT will pull a listing and ban a seller if there is any sign of misrepresentation about condition, authenticity or title status. Plus, the many (sometimes hundreds) photos and the thorough commentary USUALLY gives a pretty good idea of the car’s actual condition. (I would still want to personally inspect)

Sellers also have a little more confidence about buyers. I’ve never registered to buy with BaT, but I believe when you bid you make a credit card deposit that you will lose if you don’t follow through. (Others probably know more about that) Much harder to pull a scam.

2 Likes

Both really. You will pay more there but you’ll have more confidence in your purchase. You can sell for more so long as you’re willing to put in the necessary effort. If you fail to do so it won’t meet reserve or will barely make it.

1 Like