Ebay "SS90 ? Really?

"I was sent a link to an "SS0 prototype"listed on ebay UK So had a look, Sadly there is absolutely no evidence of any trace of SS90 and not a lot of SS in other forms. The engine is a 1 1.2 litre SS and the grille seems to have been from an SS1 The chassis may be from an SS2 , or then may be from something entirely different brand.’
A bit like a “D Type"chronometric tacho” listed in a current collectibles auction. No resemblence.

Gotta Link…?

Chassis number 70611. So not an SS. It certainly doesn’t look to be very strong in torsion. I wonder what it came from? An AC ???

Peter

Chassis number 70611 would be from a 1940 1.5 Liter Saloon or DHC.
If it was a DHC, there were only 11 DHC SEs made that year, so that possibly may be the source of the seller’s claim of it being 1 of 11.
Otherwise it is one of 688 1940 1-1/2’s.
Engine number KA2457E would be from mid to late 1939 and used in a 1939 or 1940 1.5 Liter.

So it’s somebody’s unfinished street rod.
Can’t fool us when we’ve got Allan Crouch’s book.

Item 6 here: 2023 Auction Catalogue

Totally explicit and unambiguous description and totally wrong. Knowingly so IMO, since has seemingly refused to amend it after it being proven to him that it is merely a re-faced non-chronometric road car tach. Caveat emptor is all very well but pro traders should police themselves.

Well , amazingly it sold for a whopping GBP 18,100. considering there was not one piece of SS90 in it.
Interesting looking at the vendors name. Cara Jenny … a possible confusion with C Jenny { Christian Jenny] the owner of the real SS90 prototype…

Wait I’m wrong. It didn’t sell " Reserve not met"
Personally I think they would have done extremely well at that price. Unless of course there was some legal ramifications later.