Ebc 3531 rubber

guys, the mechanic is redoing the engine head and the piston rings for a burned valve maybe because of the exhaust manifolds that were split. By removing the valves he realized that this rubber is missing in all of them!
s-l400
how is it possible that they are not there? maybe someone first put his hand … obviously in a bad way.

I believe some engines did not have any valve stem seals, and TBH any that were there probably went so hard they were useless. A puff of blue smoke on start up is a right of passage for the AJ6 engine.

1 Like

Correct.

My records show that Jaguar only fitted all 24 valve stem seals from engine serial number E163523. Prior to that I believe that EBC3531 (or their predecessor) were fitted to the inlet valves only - but I find the ‘new’ layout of the Classic Parts catalogue is confusing on that issue.

As you say, those seals didn’t last too long anyway and with slightly worn valve guides a puff of blue smoke on start-up was a sure sign that the seals needed replacement.

Great friends…but now what must we do? to put them or not to put…this is the question…

If the valve stems are a nice fit in the guides then either way IMHO, the oil consumption is greatly reduced from the XK engines <>1 pint every 300 miles if I recall correctly?

1 Like

Fit 24 seals - can’t do any harm

1 Like