EDIS and resistance wires, plugs, caps

Curious if anyone on the forum has expertise in this space. I know EDIS conversions require use of resistance for the coil pack to plugs connections. I’m in process of pulling together the kit needed for my conversion on my '62 Mk2 3.8. I’ve sourced the vintage look Champion bowtie plug caps which have a resistance value of 10k ohms. I also plan on using resistor plugs. Question I have is do I also need to have resistance wires? Or will the cap and plug be enough?

Tom

Pretty sure you need the resistance wire, that’s why Ray includes them in his kit, but I have to say, I always had faith in my old copper cored stuff, but gave way to what I consider good advice…

Resistance wires actually work better. In the EDIS setup, they are required.

The idea is to supress radio noise. I’ve always understood that you need the resistance somewhere in the circuit - not necessarily in the wires. If you use resistor caps and plugs make sure the total resistance does not exceed 25,000 ohms, which you would probably exceed if you used all three. I take it you want to use the cooper wire because that’s what the bow tie caps require?

Bow tie caps can fit up to 8-9mm wire and should work fine with resistor core wire. Based on the advice given I picked up some 8mm bulk Taylor resistor core wire that I can build into a custom set.

Yes, from what I’ve read EDIS needs resistance to function properly… and seems like plugs might be enough to provide this. However, using copper core non-resistor wires opens the probability of emitting too much EMI/RFI which can interfere with electronics (radio, EDIS controller itself, etc.).

I just finished an EDIS install on my '68. I used the wiring harness made by the Calif. company that Ray uses for his kits (my stuff was junkyard sourced). It’s high quality and quite inexpensive. Resistance was around 5000 ohms per wire. I also used stock Champion resistor plugs - 11Y’s. Everything works fine. Ray says he’s not yet encountered anybody with interference issues. I asked about the cap to wire match because I’m not sure how a screw fitting in the stock bow tie caps will mate with the carbon core of the wire. It will screw into the wire but will be rough on the core.

Terry --I have the same concern regarding screwing the cap into the resistance core. I tried it and it looked fine, but did not do any testing to prove that the connection was solid. Normally connections are crimped on to resistance core wire…whether screw in is any different I’ll need to find out.

Tom