EDIS or Other System?

That’s why I went out and found/purchased spare replacements for all the major components of Ray’s EDIS kit on my car. I want it to outlast me.

1 Like

So best suggestion is to actually stick with one of the usual Dist Ign set ups?

My SIII has orig Opus that is working, not looking for high perf. but more efficient better idle control and thinking in the future poss Fuel Inj .
Just liked the thought of the coil packs and cleaning up the V . Was a former Bosch tech back in the day used to specialize in the old
D-jetronic systems etc.
Or at that point do I just think about conv to later XJS system ?

Eric, if you are looking for intellectual stimulation, I can guarantee 100% satisfaction implementing a Megasquirt-2 or 3 with distributorless ignition. Sounds like you have the background to enjoy such a challenge. Just to be clear. MS-2 can handle the 12 OEM low impedance injectors of the HE EFI as well as 6 ignition outputs for wasted spark. MS-3 requires additional (somewhat costly ) hardware to be able to fire low impedance injectors, but it is much more “current” technology. What you want out of the project will determine which way to go.

If you are looking for the most cost effective and quickest way to implement EFI, just implement a complete HE XJS system. However, having done a very successful EFI implementation using MS-2 (when I did not understand carbs) and now running a standard V12 E with well tuned Strommies, I again share that I consider a 5-speed transmission with a deep overdrive a MUCH more worthy upgrade than EFI, even more so if you are doing a lot of long distance.

At the very least, I would encourage you to upgrade from the OPUS to any of the above options, including the vacuum advance.

If you want optimal performance, a programmable distributorless system is head-and-shoulders better than any distributor. The performance improvement is truly dramatic - faster starting, smoother idle, and dramatically improved driveability. I think the vast majority of EDIS owners would say the same. Any other programmable distributorless system should do the same. EDIS is the single best upgrade I’ve made to my car, by FAR.

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

faster starting --yes!

smoother idle–yes!

dramatically improved driveability-- Yes!!

And never having to jam my corpulent self into that narrow gap, down in the dark, to adjust points, or replace them.

def not afraid of challenge, enjoy it, cost is only a factor but not THE factor. I want all of what Ray states like in the system he designed , like the tweakablity of the MS systems . Not afraid to mod to fit as long as it looks clean and not overtly complicated or require a ton of custom parts. Ill keep researching these posts .
My goal with this car is to basically keep original look mostly but be a driver and improve with modern tech where it can benefit. i.e. ign , fuel , gauges ( hint hint Ray :wink: …) have already begun some wiring harness circuit improvements , led lighting was a must all around Starting w the headlamps. but I digress,
All great advice , definitely will be giving some thought to it . But as many know having the tech knowledge is one thing its the experience of people in forums etc like this that have actually put into application and know the stumbling blocks hurdles , that make a job much easier when the time comes.

The EDIS system is as simple as it gets. The ONLY challenge is properly mounting the trigger wheel and pickup. Everything else is trivial. The wiring is simple, the parts are available (EDIS module, coilpack, pickup, MegaJolt), and there is a mountain of documentation on the system online. Only some relatively straight-forward fabrication is required.

Regards,
Ray L.

2 Likes

Would you have any parts numbers on the components? I traded a 4.2 kit or 3.8 kit and find the 3.8 kit lacks a complete wiring harness. Never got a parts list and also need to know what Ray means in step #52 as to what a LH pickup bracket is…any help appreciated

Jim:
The wiring harnesses were custom made by Ray, and the eventual unavailability of new connectors was the reason he stopped producing these kits. If you can find used connectors, here’s the schematic:

As for the various components (coil pack, EDIS module, MegaJolt controller) you should be able to get the part numbers off the ones Ray sent you. As far as the reference to the left hand pickup bracket I’m sure that is referencing the bracket that holds the hall sensor to the left side of the block:

2 Likes

Thanks Doug. I have a 3.8 so a RH bracket. I am definitely not an electrician, Have the connectors just not in the form of a wiring harness. Wish there were pictures of exactly what it looks like. All hardware installed. Assumed the wiring was an afterthought now I may have to take it all off after much knuckle busting and go back to a distributor… Oh well

Jim- Try a PM to @Ray_Livingston. He’s always been more than willing to help me.

DONT do that (yet) you will always wonder what the electrictronic ignition would be like. As has been suggested try and contact Ray. If you cannot try using the UK etype forum where there is a dedicated group/section on the EDIS mod/upgrade. im sure you will be able to get to the bottom of your concern.

1 Like

New owner, so sorry if this is a dumb question. Most of this thread is 4+ years old. I have heard about 123 ignition, but it isn’t mentioned here. Are they not the same as an EDIS, or are they just new to the game and were not around 4 years ago?

It is not the same: a 123 still uses a distributor and distributor cap, whereas EDIS does away with all that. The advantage to EDIS is there are no moving parts.

123 has indeed been around for quite some time, now.

1 Like

As Paul says, EDIS is a fully contemporary design incorporating a crank position sensor (in this case retrofitted to be in front of the damper. It’s the same as has been used in all cars for 30 years. The other products, 123 and Pertronix, have sensors also but they are at the end of a long chain of geared parts and shafts which were a bit sloppy when new. They also fire off the coil still, which I don’t think EDIS needs.

EDIS still uses coils, but in an integral coil block.

Yes, and I’ve always thought it was one per cylinder but apparently some (Ford) uses one for each pair. I’m guessing there is some advantage to having multiples, vs just one as you have on an XK. Is it cycling time?

EDIS, like all wasted spark systems, has one coil for each complementsry PAIR of cylinders. Both spark plugs of each pair fire at the same time. For the XK, there are three coils, all mounted in a single coilpack.

Ah, I didn’t realize the Lucas unit had 3!

Craig
I just saw your old ignition thread resurrected. On the off chance you’re still undecided you might be interested in the v12 EDIS set-up I purchased from Marek a few yrs ago. He does beautiful work. Let me know if you want details/pix. I decided (?after too many cocktails) to stick with the Strommies and the dizzy using an XJS/XJ12 GM CEI mounted in the OPUS box in my 71 s3.
Digby