EFI stethoscope advice needed

In place of an automotive stethoscope, what would work best for checking (listening) for the clicking sounds that each of the EFI injectors should make with the engine running? I would purchase the stethoscope but I don’t need a tool that will be used once in my life-time.
Thank you,
Phillip

If I’m not mistaken you can hear them if you hold a screwdriver to them and put your ear to the screwdriver’s handle.

They’re pretty cheap on Amazon, I use mine more often than vice-grip pliers.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=mechanic+stethoscope
Too cheap not to have one in the toolbox.

Ok! On my way to the parts store to buy a stethoscope. My mother would be so proud. She always wanted me to be a doctor.
Thanks for the help,
Phillip

2 Likes

Easier still: depressurize fuel system (easy, pull fuel pump relay while running so it dies),
Unplug all but one, turn on ignition, un-and reconnect bullet connector somewhere along the coolant rails a few times and hear it click.
Move on to the next,…

This way you can be certain and don’t hear a lot of noise from the engine :slightly_smiling_face:

Never suggest a man dosen’t need to buy more tools :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if somewhere a source exists for cast off medical quality scopes???

Why, I’ve no answer?

Carl

That’s the deal I made with my wife when we married. There isn’t a excuse weak enough to prevent the purchase of tools and equipment. So far she’s kept the faith. Paul

1 Like

a long handled standard or flat end, screw driver . works instead of a stethoscope. I’ve done it that way for years. Oh, the pointy end doesn’t go in your ear. LOL.

I’m so use to using a screw driver to listen, I actually prefer it over a stethoscope; which I have and have used once. Hazard Fraught under $5.00

To make an extended reach stethoscope I once drilled the end of a tomato paste can and fitted a threaded rod with two nuts.

I got some snarky comments, but it worked.

1 Like