Electric E-type engine swap

There was some discussion, good and bad about the Electrified E-type Harry and Megan drove off in after their wedding. It looks like we’re going to see more of it. Today in Autoweek: The SEMA Show is the place to check out the latest performance goodies for internal combustion engines: huge turbochargers, nitrous systems that would make your dentist jealous and everything else that could help you better turn tires into smoke. While that’s probably going to be the case for a long time, it looks like electric vehicles are starting to gain some traction in the aftermarket—enough attention for Chevrolet to feature an electric Connect & Cruise crate motor.
pauls

1 Like

Ford has a 900hp EV Mustang on display too.

Think I heard about the Mustang. Was it a direct swap option? I’ve come to believe it now rational for some though still think one needs to have a second “real” car :slight_smile: I drove my cousin’s Tesla 3 a few weeks back, first time I ever drove a car that banged my head against the head rest when I floored it. That was so much fun I did it again.
pauls

1 Like

My wife has driven Teslas 3 times. She’s itching for a good look at the new 3 model. She still loves her '07 Lexus with 110K miles though. It’ll be a tough thing to give that car up.

My neighbor bought a new to him 2016 Tesla Model S and took me for a drive in it then let me drive it. An amazing car IMO, the acceleration and the low level of noise were astounding to me. If I were commuting these days I would seriously consider buying one. Very impressive technology.
Cheers,
LLynn

Yep drove a used 2018 model S and like you was very impressed. Also had the sales dude drive it around while just being a passenger so I could observe, feel and listen. If my pockets were deeper it would be in my garage as range anxiety is no problem for me. But have concerns about buying used one, new was never an option. So fell back to the 3 and found that the used ones are so close to the new prices it just turned me off. I have a theory since all of the cars I looked at were 1 yr old and low mileage, those folks bought the cars, got the fed. incentives, drove them for a year, selling for nearly what they paid and pocketed the incentives, which expired in June. They are still on my radar but probably not until one because somewhat financially feasible which doesn’t seem to be today.
pauls

There’re just enough issues with Tesla, for me, that my next (possibly) vehicle will be a Hyundai Ioniq.

I support the movement towards EVs, but the issues that exist, mainly range, remains my main determinent.

After deciding against the Tesla drove one of those too. A lot more affordable and logical also lifetime warranty on the batteries. I was spoiled by the intoxicating performance of the Tesla however. I plan to get an EV at some point but the EV world is changing so fast if it can’t be fun (Tesla) then I’ll wait for a while to see how things come together.
pauls

I’ll take a regular 70-75 mpg, over exhilarating performance!

That said, the EV world will be MUCH different in 10 years.

Hell, by then, maybe they’ll have a workable hybrid pick’em up truck!

Tesla has a pick up on the table.as does some company called Bollinger.

Your wait might not be long, but then the way these things go it could be long. The Chevy electric so called crate motor was displayed in an old custom Chevy pickup but thinking if its a direct swap then it could go in an Chevy truck.
pauls

I was told that when the battery dies it could cost upward of $30,000 on some of the Tesla models. Is this true or just another wives tale? If so, I would not want to buy a used one without a factory warranty.

I’ve found the people who rant against electric cars are usually the ones who’ve never driven one.

I’ve driven a Tesla Model S, and the quiet, effortless performance is quite simply astonishing. I’ve driven electric go-karts on twisty tracks, and they are every bit as fun as a gas-powered karts. I also understand that some of these retrofit kits (including the Mustang shown at SEMA) retain the manual transmission, so you don’t lose that “engagement” with the car.

As far as range-anxiety goes, my former boss regularly drives his Model S from San Diego, across the sprawling LA basin of gridlock traffic, to his in-laws in Pismo Beach. He stops for lunch at a mall just north of LA with a Tesla ‘supercharger’, and makes it to Pismo Beach with range to spare. How many people do a trip like that more than a few times per year?

1 Like

what if you don’t have a “tesla supercharger” on your route or time to stop for lunch while it charges? wasn’t that long ago that few gas stations carried diesel, finding fuel meant planning my route and schedule around those stations. I went back to gas for another ten years until it became readily available anywhere. last weekend, I drove 450-500 miles and would not of been able to charge overnight, find a fast charge station nor spare the time to charge. this weekend will be closer to 800 miles (weather providing) and again, time and available charging stations would be a concern.

I never said they were for EVERY person, in EVERY situation, but the idea that the average person on the typical day has anything to worry about is just not reality.

The young guy who sits next to me at work recently drove his Model 3 from San Diego to Mammoth Lakes, CA. That’s 400 miles, and 6-1/2 hours mainly through the middle-of-nowhere, climbing up to nearly 8,000 ft. The car planned his route for him, and I think he said it added something like 1 hour (maybe less) to his trip when compared to his previous (gas) car.

And who usually goes on a 5-6 hour road trip, and doesn’t have time for lunch?!

on a scenic road trip? sure. but a 5-6 hour trip is usually straight threw and eat, relax after I get there. worse yet, do what I came to do and be on my way hitting a drive threw to get back home quicker. adding an hour to my trip isn’t always an option and is NEVER practical. someday I will own an electric, may even do a conversion but it isn’t practical for me at this time.

When I say it added upwards of an hour, I should mention this is a guy in his late-20’s, with no kids. It’s very likely that he had to go from inhaling a burrito while behind the wheel, to sitting down for a real meal…what a concept.

For a guy like me, with a wife and young kids who need to get out of the car for a bit, there would probably be no difference whatsoever.

I never cared for the concept of electric cars much.
About 2 weeks ago I rode as passenger in a model X Tesla. I was shocked by how large the central display was.
It also visually showed someone walking their dog on the radar part of it and a tractor trailer as it crossed ahead of us. Brilliant technology.
The instant acceleration I admire.
However…
Still old fashioned in the sense that I feel like electric cars don’t have souls.

Again. I (almost) never drive for more than 150 miles. For longer routes I would have the XJ or the plane. Should I need even more space I could rent something. An EV is much more comfortable on commutes…

On a road trip my stops are mostly dictated by either an empty gas tank or a full bladder. IMO, you’ll know the age of the electric car has arrived when charging stations are at the head of parking spots at McDonalds.

1 Like

That’s the approach I think many people will take for a long time. Keep an gasoline-powered car or truck around for long trips, or hauling heavy loads.

Thats the approach my parents have taken since they retired. With no desire to ever buy another car, they simply keep their existing cars reliable enough for getting around town. When they go on a long trip, they rent a car…there’s something very rewarding about putting hundreds and hundreds of miles on a car that you don’t have to do the maintenance on.