Electric Mirrors - power status?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone advise on the status of their electric mirrors with ignition off status?

Are those still functioning/non functioning?

Adding XJS year and engine version will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I know for a fact the mirrors in my '83 were still powered up with the ignition off because the $%%^ joystick would decide to short out in the middle of the night and I’d hear one mirror wind to one end and sit there and pop-pop-pop skipping gears trying to drive it farther. I had to disconnect the battery until I could get at the issue the next day. Asked about new joysticks at a Jag dealer, the parts clerk had the part number memorized, didn’t need to look it up. Decided not to buy one at $80 each. Ended up replacing those joysticks with an arrangement of momentary toggle switches.

Gave up my 94 XJS a few years ago but I’m pretty certain the ACC /or ON needed to be selected.

I’m in the wrong country to test it, but I think the mirrors and seats on my 1992 XJR-S are hooked up to battery live, not ignition. Pretty sure hitting the memory [1|2] button operates both seat and mirrors, without the key in the ignition.

The external power mirrors in our 1990 XJ-S convertible (5.3L V12) work with the ignition off and the key out of the ignition switch.

Paul

My ‘88 work with key off.

Funny, Equip, in that my '94 (Superblue) did the same thing last year - they both went out at the same time, out of the blue (although sometimes when I went through the car wash it would blow the fuse before that). This time though no blown fuse. I figured the only other possible cause was the switch went bad, but I r/red it with a known good one and no difference. :frowning_face:

Thanks everyone.

It seems that only XJS options with ignition-on mirrors are indicating past electric installation “repairs”…

oops - Equip, did you mean your mirrors gave up or you sold your '94 XJS? :confused:

88’ xjsc, mine worked, before the car died on me, but that, and most of the other electronic bits in the car would work when off, except the radio.

Sold for next to nothing.