Electrical wiring

Hello all

I am restoring my XJ6 - a 1983 model. I would like to replace the original wiring (or as much of it as possible). Does anyone know if there is anywhere that I could get the the original striped (colour coded) wiring? Or if it is even available anymore?

Thanks so much,

Scott

Here, perhaps?

http://www.britishwiring.com/default.asp

If you donā€™t mind my asking why do you want to replace most of the wiring? Thatā€™s a huge task. Generally youā€™d replace or repair ā€˜as neededā€™ only.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

OE wiring harnesses arenā€™t available anymore. The demand for XJ saloons isnā€™t great enough to warrant a business start up making harnesses. The wire is however, Dougā€™s referrence is good as well as 12voltplanet.co.uk

Not to be a debbie downer, but before tearing into the wiring, have sources for all of the wiring bits youā€™re gonna need. junction connectors, fuse blocks, spade connectors, Poly mult-wire junction connectors for example the fuel injection connector right near the battery, and the two firewall junction connectorsā€¦ Below are my thoughts on this topic.

Segway - I have a clapped out Series II that has old and crusty wiring; thatā€™s been patched, and patched, then patched again (not by me). Like you, my thoughts are OK, this is a rats nest, and needs to be sorted. How I go about it, is remove it all, then put it all back one loom at a time. well then I started to think the process through.

Wire coloring
The wire colors arenā€™t a big issue, it all depends on how deep your pockets, you can have the wires as well as the harnesses made; My pockets arenā€™t that deep. I was able to acquire the right colored wire (one color at a time). As i started to formulate a game plan, I soon became flummoxed, by the other electrical bits I DIDNā€™T have. such as poly multi-wire connections, the countless connectors under the console, and in the boot. The original white burrito looking crimp connectors are still available, but why? these connectors are the plague to Jaguar electrics especially in damp or salty climates (in which both are true where I live).

So if Iā€™m not going to use the crap OE connectors; then why did I track down the original wire coloring - just document what new color wire is replaced the old color wire. Right!? To this day, I still donā€™t know. I havenā€™t started down this rabbit hole yet. Iā€™m still sourcing cheap alternatives. besides I have bigger fish to fry - blown head gasket. :frowning_face:

Love to hear how you get on with this project.

Cheers!
Mark

Agree. Our Series 1 has original ā€œRistsā€ loom, any wiring insulation that became heat embrittled was replaced using similar colours (as much as possible) provided by my friendly jaguar wrecker from his stripped car stocks. All for cents per metre. Paul

Without the correct wire colours, Mark; the original wiring diagrams are useless - which will present a problem when searching for electric clues, and helpā€¦

Certainly, any colour will do to carry current to where it is needed - and amending the wiring diagram accordingly will work a treat. And future owners will bless youā€¦

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

You are correct (as usual) Frank, I understand the brevity of maintaining the originality. If you recall, I lived that nightmare with the Series II and the ignition / distributor that you helped me with. Thatā€™s why I said document the color change keep it in the car, keep it on file, keep it in the computer, tattoo it on my forehead just donā€™t lose it.

I guess I was thinking out loud, I know why, and it was a stupid post. Sorry.

Kevin,

Have you tried autosparks.co.uk ? They supply correct harnesses and, for a price, will custom fabricate a harnesses with upgrades.

Iā€™ve fit a few of their looms, mostly to '60s cars, and been pleased with the product/results.

Documenting all changes and mods is a great idea. Not only for yourself but for future owners as well, as Frank says

I donā€™t think it was a stupid post

Cheers
DD

Having been elbow deep in some old Jags and dismantled a Series III Iā€™ve found that A) 95% of the factory installed wiring is in pristine condition and B) it is not easy to remove and reinstall!

Wiring exposed to engine bay heat and/or exposed to weather can take a beatingā€¦and often needs repair. Not difficult, generally.

Over the years Iā€™ve heard people mention ā€œā€¦rewire the whole carā€¦ā€ leaving me to wonder whatā€™s going on. Unless the car has been in a fire or flood such a major undertaking shouldnā€™t be necessary

Cheers
DD

Rhode Island Wiring is another source for harnesses and color coded individual wires.
www.riwire.com

Scott,
You didnā€™t indicate where in the world you live. Just in case you live
in the USA (or reasonably close by) there are two sources that might be
able to help you. The first is British Wiring in Bally, PA and the other
is Rhode Island Wiring in Kingstown, Rhode Island. I have used both for
wiring needs for my six Jaguars, however I did not purchase individual
wires to rebuild the harnesses myself. Check out their websites and
perhaps send them a request to see if they can help you. If you like
elsewhere like the UK, or Australia you might have sources closer to you
that might help.

Paul

Second that, Doug - he did the right thing anywayā€¦:slight_smile:

As an aside; your point about wholesale wire harness replacement unless really necessary is very well taken. The companies providing replacement harnesses usually also makes part harnesses for vulnerable areas. And in any case, if they donā€™t; ordering the lot and use the pertinent parts is viable - and saves a lot of unnecessary workā€¦

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

I have made some harnesses (out of neccesity only) and here is one way I did it when the correct colored wire is NLA or expensive.

Using the original (or preferably a ā€œwreckā€ harness, dismantle it. Retain all connectors.

Snip out good well-colored sections of wire that have been protected.

solder about 2-3ft of ā€œcorrectā€ color wire, connector to ā€œregular colorsā€ wireā€¦they will be hidden in the wrapping.

what you end up with is wrapped harnesses with correct colored wires and fittings showing, and the regular wire is not visible (still do document what you did)

would only do this if I had to though, would not like to try on a FI XJ

1 Like

That is a really good tip. the majority of my XJā€™s ARE FI models. but the one that really needs a rewire is the Series II

The engine has been rebuilt and some of the wiring is a bit rough. Just trying to make it ā€œlookā€ as good as new if possible.

Hi Thanks for all of the info . I will be checking it out. Scott

Hi Paul Not too many wreckers in this area of Canada but thatā€™s at least a start. thankyou, Scott

Thanks for your response Scott

Thanks for your comments Doug and I will move forward with your comments under advise. Scott

Great website Andrew! thanks so much. Scott