Electronic ignition anyone?

It’s 123 from what I see

The suppliers in the UK don’t list that one , I’ll go direct .

Good morning Kenny,

123ignition.de in germany:

Eric Frenken & Anke Verheyen GbR
Industriestraße 9c
D-52525 Heinsberg

Phone: +49 (0) 24 52 95 761

You will get an extra discount for online-ordering.
It is also possible to get the compatibel ignition coil and wires.

Good luck :grinning: and best regards

Wolfgang

I wonder how much 123ingition differs from electronic points like this one (or similar):

Moss-Pertronix

I think it’s more relevant to ask the question another way: How much is a new 123 ignition similar to putting an electronic conversion in your old distributor? The answer to this is: Not all that much. They mount in the same hole in the block and have spark plug wires coming out of the top.

An electronic conversion relies on your old distributor being in generally good condition, as it is only improving the actual spark. The timing is not improved, as it’s still all the old weights and springs whizzing about in there, trying to make some of that old magic happen again. And failing.

The 123 ignitions (and the more involved EDIS/Megajolt conversion) really replace the old timing and in their entirety, with a tiny computer mapping the timing digitally and exactly. This allows the ignition to be absolutely spot on for the exact application it’s fitted in. Not “this is the factory spec for a similar spec engine”, but totally where it should be, and it stays that way.

The reason why more people don’t get this is that the XK engine is near endlessly forgiving. As long as you have some fuel dribbling through the carbs and a spark casually arriving at roughly the right time, the engine will run. And so many cars are driving around like this. The difference though between one that is sparking right and one with a demented dizzy is like night and day. If you then also kick out the carbs and add fuel injection, well then you’re truly cooking with gas (or electricity, subject to where you live etc etc, YMMV yadda yadda).

1 Like

A point I have attempted to convey, with some limited luck, on this here website.

P&c, coupled with even a good-shape old dizz, is just so 1920.

Thanks Wolfgang , that looks great . Is it essential to get a new coil and wires ? I bought a new coil from Distributor Doctor here in the UK , and I fitted a new set of copper wires a few months ago .

The 123 should work with your coil and new wires.

Thanks , I will order one today :+1:

Ask them before you place an order:
there a three different models

• 123 ignition (standard)
  • 123 tune (USB)
  • 123 tune+ (Bluetooth)

Ok , but I’m a pretty standard type of guy :grinning:

1 Like

Life can be so much easy… :grinning:

Listen to Nick he is a smart guy …
But
You need a 3.0 coil without an INTERNALBALLAST and you have to buy a carbon spark plug wire kit…
Cheap today.
GTJOEY1314

If you can read this straight from 123

Thanks for that Joey , sound advice .

123 + carbon leads ordered and on its way , just over 300 quid , no shipping fee , can’t be bad eh !

I’ve been running a pertronix kit. Upon installation I cleaned, lubed and checked bushings in my distributor, so to make sure I had a decent unit. Works great, fast starts and performs well. If ever a failure I can swap in points and be back on my way.

Although 123 are nice, you don’t have this option if a failure occurs. Just a thought.

Confucius once said “If always preparing for failure, can you every truly taste progress?”

1 Like

With old British cars, can’t get too confident.

I thought he said , " if always prepare for failure , success will rift you beyond the stars . Ah so !

Ow.

That’s a loooong damn way to be rifted.

:astonished: