Engine breather

E Type s2 4.2. is the breather off the front of the head, supposed to be a polished metal upside down U shape or can they be a rubber attachment as is the one I am about to order? Next ,where does the coil normally sit ? Possibly on the top RH side of the picture frame using a special bracket? Cheers Geoff

Here is a shot of the breather on the front of the engine n my 69 FHC. .

A short oil resistant tube connects it to a pipe that goes back to the air cleaner.

Your air cleaner may be different and have a somewhat different setup for the pipe.

Geoff,

As with many things on the E-Type, “S2 4.2” is not precise enough to determine the answer to your question. The 1969 Model Year cars were as @John_Walker illustrated in his response, which included the “trash can” air cleaner with triangular plenum.The 1970/1971 MY cars were different. They had a breather with a rubber attachment as you describe, and a different air cleaner arrangement - namely, a rectangular air cleaner box directly attached to the carb intakes, with a forward pointing intake trumpet. The cleaner was coupled to a sheet metal crossover that fed heated air from above the exhaust manifolds for improved emissions control on cold start. The 1970 MY cars also had the coil mounted on the top of the picture frame alongside an ignition ballast resistor. If you are buying parts from “the usual” vendors their catalogs usually indicate the car serial numbers appropriate for parts that changed during a single E-Type Series.

PS: I now see that you are located in Australia, which adds further complexity to the issue, as my comment is appropriate for US/Canada cars, but may be inaccurate for a car that was initially delivered elsewhere.

For 1970/71 see:

http://www.xkebooks.com/images/1970%20Specs.PDF

The coil and ballast resistor are mounted on a bracket on the picture frame next to the car no.

Richard Liggitt

Here’s a photo of the set up that was on my (US market, factory air) 71 OTS:

You didn’t ask, but a corresponding change was that the starter relay was mounted on the firewall:

I’ve never understood the purpose of that hex shaped bracket that places the coil bracket above the picture frame.

On my '69 I mounted the spare coil there (it was also a location used on some AC equipped cars) – in that case the primary wire wouldn’t clear the metal oil breather tube unless the coil was elevated a bit:

So perhaps that was the origin of the raised bracket (which probably did not need to be raised on the 71 as the breather arrangement was different).

2 Likes