Engine build date

I just purchased a D-Type with a XJ6 engine. I’m trying to figure out the manufactured date of the engine for DMV. The engine number is 8L108413-S. I know it is an early '80s engine, but need to know exact year. Jaguar Heritage is in lockdown, so they are of no help right now. If anyone has an engine number close to mine then knowing the build date will help me a lot. Thanks…

Did you try xj6data.com?

Give the Coventry Foundation a ring, or via web, they may be able to help.

Yes, but it is centered more around car ID numbers and only tells me that my engine number was probably used in a Series 3 car. Unfortunately, I need a bit more detail as to the exact year.

So far, I’ve found a 1982 with engine number 8L 121050-S; 1985 – 8L172523-S; and 1987 – 8L 221692-S. These were found from previous auction results. If anyone out there has a 1979 to 1982 XJ6, 4.2 engine, I’d be very interested in their engine number.

Or is there a publication out there that might include when certain engines were installed? I have a few reference books for my E-Type that are pretty good for what I’m looking for but now I’m dealing with the XJ6 and not much to go on so far.

Thanks, Glen…

Thanks, I’ll give them a try.

Well, I know 8L97861-H from a (correction) ca. 1981 (early style FI and with a late 80 cast date). Seems a number short, doesn’t it?

Do you know if this engine might be a 3.4 litre? If you just used the 97861 digits, then it fit with other 3.4 units I’ve found on the internet (1980 – 92152 and 94197; and 1981 – 96797). These were all 3.4’s.

I wonder if ‘H’ signifies an EFI engine?

G.

Interesting! No, it’s a 4.2. H is for high compression (there was S, or apparently L, and earlier, 9 or 8, or 7, all FI cars in Europe as far as I know were H).

Ah, you know what, just tell them the casting date on the block. It’s on the right rear corner and so high up the fly cutter touches it when decking the block. Should be a few months before assembly as the blocks had to be weathered, machined and turned into an engine of course.

Would that do for them?

Maybe, I’ll check with them. Thanks.

Here‘s the casting date from that block.

That’s great! Need pictures and details. Paul.