Engine cover xjs v12 1995

Where may I buy engine cover for my XJS V12 1995? Someone who knows?

Sadly, unobtainable part. With a little bit of luck, you may find it on eBay, but honestly speaking, the odds of winning the lottery are higher.

Another approach is to contact Paul’s Jaguar. They are now supplying replicas of some hard to find part, perhaps they are working out a solution (this should be a walk in the park for someone clued with 3D printing btw)

Ok thanks for information. I tought I har orderd the cover from Paul’s but in my mailbox here i Norway there was droped only 4 fasterners. I aware my english understanding is not so good.No I have to try other.

It’s an awfully big part to 3D print, but it’s a plausible thing. It would take surface conditioning afterwards.

I did make my own 3D model (which I’m hanging on to for now). Maybe one day it’ll be viable to print in a material that works in the engine bay - that’s that big.

~Paul K

I have an aluminium cover that a guy from the US sent to me, about 20 years ago… I never used it as it was handed incorrectly for my right hand drive, (throttle input), I will post a photo of it tomorrow…

2 Likes

The fasteners that you have are likely the replicas that they had reproduced because those are the pieces that most people lose when they remove the cover. I would contact him again and ask if he has a cover for sale.

1 Like

Mike
that would be veeery nice. Looking forward to see the picture. I am living in Norway and have left hand steering. ( US model).

How high is high heat? A mold pulled from an original and smooth-on pourable resin will get you to 129c.

My employer has banks of smaller 3D printers and then glued together the results but they’re just prototypes and I have no idea how to use CAD. I guess all I’m saying is if it’s too big for a printer, print it in pieces. But like most people regarding 3D printing, I’m talking out of my ass.

I guess fiberglass would also do.
But one has to have the original to use it as a mould… At some point I was even contemplating to make a mould from wood, but too much work.

Would be very interesting to see indeed Mike.

You got plenty of filaments to choose from. EXTEM is only one of them, you just need to upgrade your printer to run at 300C… This cover won’t carry any structural loads - I would try PETG to start with, being soften in high temp does not mean it will melt or deform. Your engine should not run hotter than 110C… Worth noting that I have PCP air riflw with aluminium/zinc printed pneumatic components.

Actually you are not talking out of your ass. 3D printers are expensive and large ones are astronomical so in order to make up a large piece like the engine cover two or more smaller pieces have to be printed and glued/fastened together. The preferred way of doing something like that is to print the pieces as if it were a puzzle and avoid straight lines.

Wakey-wakey AJ,

3D printers were expensive in 80s, now you csn grab one for less than £200…

Here’s all I ever wanted and more than I ever needed:

Now returning to the print bed size, here’s the shocker:

It is worth mentioning that you can order 3dprints, the price difference between ABS and aluminium for engine cover would be possibly 30%…

3D printing sounds like the way to go if what you seek is something that looks original. OTOH, if something that looks good will do, I’d be far more tempted to fab something out of sheet stainless or perhaps aluminum. Some sort of laser cutting machine with a nifty pattern programmed in could make quick work of it. Might design it to go in a brake to give it a couple of bends to more closely resemble the profile of the original.

1 Like

It looks like Kirbert’s idea makes sense for all v12 owners, maybe practical cover like the one below?

V12-Smig post reminded me that a friend of mine bought, about 15 years ago, a metal cover that someone here in USA fabbed and was selling. Maybe on Ebay. Seems like it had a Leaper logo cut into it. Looked nice but I never bought one.

Yep. Not on ebay at the moment. I’ve seen a couple of variations before.

~Paul K

My car was missing one of the unusual ‘fasteners’ that secure the engine cover. Several years ago I bought a stupidly cheap (£400) X300 XJ12 - that provided my missing fastener. I sold the X300 but for what it cost me, I should’ve kept it.

Kinda wish I had bought one way back when. My OEM cover was/is good, and I am very careful with releasing those spring-loaded fasteners. I saw one of them on Ebay for about $15. Saw that Paul’s has a set/kit that looked slightly different – fully threaded screws versus the quick twist kind.

Yes that’s the one, I forgot to get it out of the garage this morning (walked off very late from the 19th last night) but will endeavour to post a couple of photos in due course…