Engine Development - Inlet Ports

Mark simply follow TWRs Grp A engine building and you got 500+ HP.

but would not make a comfortable road car , quiet ,good MPG, slow for average street driving , with a manual transmission , to much time shifting , to keep the torque usable!

thats why an 850 HP Formula 1 engine would make a lousy street engine! think about what gear ratio it would require, or the type of transmission , HEY now thats where a 10 speed automatic would shine, and two speed lower drive rear end!

kinda begs the question , WHY, for what reson ??

ron

1 Like

Why I eventually built a full-on race chassis, for auto-xing/road racing, out of my Datsun 1200: even in mild tune, the lumpy, nervous, dual-Mikunied engine (at that time, it had the “mild” 300 degree duration cam in it) was a royal PITA for street use.

Yes…the inlet trumpet is an “unusual” detail…but does the air filter not destroy the possibility of the filter can working with the plenum volume to create some harmonic benefits

1 Like

You’d think it would screw it up, but apparently not. Although it is a bit of a head scratch.

I guess the question is whether a filter prevents the inertia of the mass of air? And I guess the answer to that is no. Flow rate and mass are largely unchanged. Hence inertia is largely unchanged. Hence intertia effects are largely unchanged (or the tuned area is increased).

If you were looking for an abrupt transition to induce a reflection, that may be a different story. Then again, maybe not. Hmmm.

For the practical among us, I wonder what happens if you put a paper filter in the middle of a flute or an organ pipe? Assuming it only makes a minor different to the flow rate, does it change the pitch of the pipe? Or does it just prevent spiders (and snakes in Australia) getting to the organ stop? Would it make any difference if the filter were half way down the pipe or across the top off the pipe? I sense a coke bottle experiment coming on.

Perhaps part of the answer depends if it is laminar flow or turbulent flow. I would imagine it would be highly disruptive of turbulent flow.

On reflection an number of other cars I have worked on (Volvo, Audi, Peugeot) have similar airbox/filter arrangements where there is volume on either side of the filter.

Yes…interesting question…but how could you model the filter in a CFD program???
My gut feel is that it would affect the pressure waves…it imposes a pressure drop on the flow so some work has to be done in traversing the filter media…but perhaps not a significant amount??..

Still at it … currently working on cam drive (a blend of XK 6-cyl and SOHC V12; three duplex chains), cam and piston crown design.

2 Likes

Wow, interesting project. I wouldn’t have gone that route; I would have endeavored to build a SOHC 3- or 4-valve with rockers.

Thought so Kirbert :wink:

The engine’s home will be a few inches behind the driver’s head in one if our re-creations. Has to be in the spirit of the original.

Crazy I know - but we only pass this way once …

2 Likes

Nev, I for one am GLEEFULLY happy you “went that route:” the vision that you and your team have shown has resulted on an amazing recreation, and furtherment of the legacy of a wonderful car.

Keep on doing what some said could not be done!!!

1 Like

back 1996/7 the Daytona car show, a guy had a replica XJ13, fiberglass , using a Jag V12 pre he, with a Porsche trans axle, it was FAR from being original. but those who looked at didnt know the difference (neither did i ).

but it was bright RED and excellent workmanship, to USA car guys it was stunning.

owner was trying to sell them ,or parts to build one, but never took off, so closed up shop.

i wonder where the molds are?

Nevilles car is WAY beyond average guys income level, but absolultly fantastic never the less!