Engine Gurus....from my post in E-type

Erica_Moss

1h

Scot,

I suggest cross posting this over on the XK engine forum to get the most eyes on it. At a glance I think some people will balk about the fact that the builder left out the D-washers on the cam stud bearing caps. This most often happens because it can be challenging to get them started because with the extra thickness the nuts won’t grab on the threads. It’s easy enough to get around that by starting the nuts on a few studs to get it threaded down to the point where the D washers fit on, and then go back and put the washers on the studs you started with.

Since you already have it open, I’d take a moment and verify the timing. I’d verify compression if you haven’t already. Take a swipe on that assembly lube and make sure it hasn’t petrified. If it has then the oil won’t wash it away and you’ll burn out the bearings in no time. Hoping this isn’t the case because if so then you’ll be pulling it apart to clean them and also pulling the pan to remove the main bearing caps.

Before getting ready to start it, go ahead and fill the cam galleries with oil to the point it starts to drain back. No sense waiting for them to fill up, assembly lube or no.

ScotThompson

26m

Hmmm. I need to look up D washers.

How do I cross post?

The assy lube smears nicely when I touch it. So I’m hoping it’s okay. I’ll add oil as you suggest

I can’t verify compress until I get the engine to turn over…there is no starter at the moment either.

I had planned to pre-pump the oil through the galleries before starting, but not before I turn it over by hand. What I’ve done in the past is force the oil through the engine by hand or electric pump. Then crank the engine no plugs, on the starter for 5 secs. Do that several times before cranking in on the starter for 15-20 secs. And do that 4 or 5 times. I’ve had good luck in the past. Still taking advice.

Erica_Moss

ScotThompson

12m

There is no shortcut I know of. Just hit the edit pencil, and select all and copy. Then go to that forum, create a new post and paste it all.

Good deal on the assembly lube. I would have been awful to tear it down.

Dump oil all over the timing chains as well.

sngbarratt.com

SNG Barratt UK | Keeping your Jaguar on the Road

Dennismo

Erica_Moss

3m

I suggest you put a few tablespoons of oil into each cylinder. The oil will work its way down to the piston rings

Dennis 69 OTS

AhwahneeGeo Hahn 1969 Series 2 OTSRegular

Erica_Moss

2m

Is that a 3.8 thing? Mine (if I understand what you are referring to) just had serrated washers.