Engine Mounts for SS1/ Nothing in Archive

Greetings All And PerterJB,

Does the plate that mount bolts through have a notch in it for the original oil pan,or is that a later OHV engine and pan?

Not sure what you mean by a notch, The engine shown is a 3 1/2
and is moved forward to allow the plug leads to route around the back of the block, but the chassis pan at the front of the engine is not cut, The front sump setscrews though are replaced with countersunk hex drive to clear the pan.
does the Standard block have a mount plate with the lugs to accept the pins ?

Greetings All,

First off…flywheel removed. Literally spent more time getting puller situated correctly, about 5 minutes in all. It took 40 seconds, once secured to liberate the flywheel.

It was also a pretty large old school puller.

I can now access the 2.5 liter rear engine plate which is needed for a template because the starter placement is different than the 3.5. Going to have some new ones cut.

PeterJB, the previous owners on this car were fond of engine changes. When the Standard Flathead became tired and there wasn’t a lot of support for that engine over here, a Dodge Flathead Six was installed.

Later the DeSoto V8 was fitted and sometime either with the Dodge or the DeSoto, the rear end was sectioned to fit an American CW&P, with the SS1 axle tubes grafted on to keep the wire wheels and the brakes,

I mention all of this as it appears the front skidplate was notched, most likely to allow one of these transplanted engine’s oil pans to clear. About 4" X 6" piece was removed.

The replacement piece made fits perfectly but alas, there are no holes for mounts, yet.

I’ve been told Standard’s plates wil not work.

1 Like

Interesting: they used a “modern” style seal retainer, rather than a split one, like on the XKs.

Is that a rope seal?

Wonder why they reverted to a less-effective style.

Greetings All/WIggles

Not sure on what they used.

When I bought my SS1, there was a DeSoto in it that was commanding a high price that I didn’t want to pay. Luckily a hot rodder wanted it.

I was worried about finding an original Flathead, so, just in case, when presented with the opportunity, I bought a 3.5 OHV first and later found a 2.5 OHV.

The guy I purchased this from used it in the SS100 he used to race in NY. It is not an SS block, its from a MKV I believe.

Worst case scenario, I had something to install if a Flathead could not be sourced.

The crank has a return scroll, the Ali housing is just a close fit to the crank.
For the front mount how about the late
‘37 on SS100 setup where the front plate bolts to two brackets welded and
riveted to the insides of the main chassis members. To align the front of the engine, you no doubt realise, insert a tube through the holes for the starting handle so that it engages the nose of the crank. Everyone to their own of course, but unless you’re going to restore to the 4 seat SS1 tourer spec, why not install the 2 1/2 OHV ? after all there’s been a number of engine changes along the way.

Hello
For rear engine mount bushes I purchased a pair from Robush Ltd in the UK, they have a large selection of imperial size bushes. No affiliation etc.

Peter