Engine No. Help

I think you all are getting used to the idea that my '63 FHC came on a trailer with lots of boxes. The car was nearly restored in the early 1990s as best as I know (belonged to my aunt). Some dispute interrupted the restoration and with hard feelings, my aunt took the Jag back.

The car has an engine number that is unusual. It is 20012, stamped on the casting flat just above the oil filter. JDHT did not bat an eye at this number but they didn’t explain it to me either. The car is 887030, the engine number is supposed to be R 7862-9. The head was replaced by one manufactured in July of 1993, RA number, so that is not any help. The painter, I presume, kept the data plate; that’s unfortunate but I’ve one with the correct stamps as witnessed by JDHT. I, in my ignorance, have always assumed I just hadn’t found the engine no. but I have and it is 20012.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this engine number is?

That is curious.

Don’t know if this is of any help, but on my S2 car the engine number was also stamped on the rim of the flywheel:

Visible (on mine) thru the hole in the bellhousing - possibly when at TDC #6

No idea if S1s had similar marks - if so would give you a double-check on that odd number.

thanks George. I had thought of that too, but the car has an all-synchro gear box from a 1965 FHC and hence the flywheel has been changed out. The “new” gearbox is EJ 6557.

It’s interesting that the area appears to have been milled smooth, not a normal practice and not a normal location. Perhaps someone, or even the factory, milled off an old number and stamped a new one disregarding the prifix and compression ratio suffix. For some years I had what I assume was a factory replacement engine with no serial number stamped anywhere. No help I’m afraid but an interesting set of circumstances that makes it even a bigger question.
pauls

Not the engine number Scot, it is a casting number.
C 20012 is the early version of the wider 3.8 block, the later final version being C22250. The main difference is the bottom chain
top damper mount, C20012 using the bottom setscrews on the top
chain assembly casting as per the early 3.4 / 3.8 engines .
C22250 though has two bosses cast in to mount the bottom chain
top damper, this later top damper has it`s top hole elongated to
allow a degree of adjustment. This mod was effected on the later
3.4 and all the 4.2.blocks. Strangely the C20012 blocks have one boss cast in
as though Jaguar were not quite decided.

Yes, now I recall the JDHT saying something about an engine casting number Peter. And perhaps that is why, 17 years ago when I went to Coventry I have a memory of needing to find the engine number still.

But when I look at the locations of the engine nos. on my vintage 3.8, I understand it to be exactly where this casting no. is located. Is there some place else I should be looking to find the R7862-9 I’m seeking?

The engine number is / was never stamped in the casting number area Scot. The place to look, as has oft been mentioned, is where
the oil filter head bolts to the block, rub the flat area of the block at that point with abrasive paper, number should show.

Thank you Peter. You mean I should remove the oil filter head? And the machined surface there is where the engine no. is? I’ve never been told that; I always looked just above the oil filter head and that is where I find the casting no. I’ll go look again. Thanks!

1 Like

This is where you should look

Boy do I feel stupid! All these years and my engine is quite clean. Those numbers were filled with dust and very invisible. I never considered looking on a horizontal surface.

So thank you Peter and MGCJag. It is even the correct engine for the car. Thank goodness!

1 Like

And note that Jaguar always used a horizontal digit 1 instead of a plain dash

I the use of a “1” for a dash true also for the data plate?

Scott,

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a horizontal “1” used for a hyphen on a data plate. It’s use in stamped engine numbers is also far from universal. Just look at this '63 FHC on BaT at the moment for an example of not using a “1”: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-jaguar-xke-coupe-6/

-David

Thank you David. That’s a nice example of a driver. Probably will go for less than I’ll have in mine. Thanks to you I finally found my engine no. and it is correct. The casting no. must have led JDHT to the engine number as they we pleased with all I provided them back in 2003.

Wow. The high bid on that car was $87500. The seller rejected it and says he’ll now keep it.
Got to go work on mine harder!!!

I just noticed that on my car (which did not sell and Im fine with it)…it also has the horizontal 1 (but its hard to see) 1963 Jaguar XKE Series I Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - closed on July 21, 2020 (Lot #34,094) | Bring a Trailer

Also a very nice "63 FHC with lots of originality, Jeff. I hope to have mine look as good some day. I see your No. 1 as the dash on the engine number. I appreciate your link to pics, especially the receipts as it gives me some resources I may need. I live just north of Atlanta in Franklin, NC and we don’t have too many know Jag shops around here.

Franklin, NC, love that area…if your ever intown, give me a shout, always have a Jag work going on. JS

I will do so. I’ll send PM.